Replacing a tub drain, but have seeping putty underneath...

Users who are viewing this thread

misty!

Reaction score
Replacing a tub drain (in a brand new tub, but with the previous pipes) and am running into what I "think" may be a future problem... the putty I put around the piece sitting atop the tub is seeping UNDER the tub with the rubber washer when I tighten it.

but am getting this when I review my work from underneath...My question is (of course) about potential leaks!

My understanding is that the goal is to have only washer against the bottom of the tub to give a tight water proof seal, and that putty is just to seal the water into the tub... and IF this is the goal, how do I fix it (or is there anything to fix)? I think the pipe may be installed at an angle (based on how I had to maneuver the new drain in) and that might explain the seeping of the putty, but as of now there is no water leaking down the pipe. As a first time DIYer with plumbing I know this isn't an ideal seal, but is it one destined to leak?

Attachments

• tub-drain-leak-04.jpg
    tub-drain-leak-04.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_6219_Zoomed in.JPG
    IMG_6219_Zoomed in.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 176
Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks