Replaced Well Pump Switch Did I wire it backwards?

Users who are viewing this thread

Drew1990

Reaction score
Due to extreme cold I had to replace main water line. While at it I replaced new 40/60 pressure switch and pressure gauge. Pressure switch will not cut in or off and well pump is constantly running. I am unsure if if I wired the switch backwards or not. I have the breaker running to the center two poles and the pump running to the outer two poles. Is this correct?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is usually wired the other way around, but it will still work fine that way. If the wiring is ok and the pump still won't shut off either the pressure is not getting high enough to shut off or the points in the switch are welded together.

Drew1990

Reaction score
The pressure seems to hang right around 50psi with nothing running. I ran the tub and faucet to drain below the cut on and cannot hear the switch clicking yet it will slowly regain pressure as pump is running

Drew1990

Reaction score
It is a 40/60 which is what was originally on it before it was replaced. The line did break ahead of the switch and was replaced. Maybe I have a small leak somewhere that I had missed. Temps reached negative 30. Would I still hear the switch click on though when pressure dropped below 40? I do not hear an audible "click"

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You won't hear it click on at 40 until it clicks off at 60 first. A small leak won't cause that. It must be a fairly large leak to keep it from building to 60 PSI. Turn off power to the pump while no water is being used. You may have a check valve by the tank that shouldn't be there. But without a check valve at the tank, if the pressure drops when the power is turned off, even though no water is being used, you have leak.

You may have to remove the check valve to confirm this. But that check valve shouldn't be there anyway.

Drew1990

Reaction score
No check valve. When I get home I will turn breaker on fill and monitor pressure see if it drops out with power back off. Is it possible that a bad diaphragm in a pressure tank would cause this?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
You should be able to tell by looking at the contacts whether they are open or closed. You can force it to open by prying up on the metal plate under the big spring taking care not to touch the electrical components. If it has a low cutoff lever on the side, moving that lever all the way might open the contacts.
07-17-14-01.png

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks