Replace Metal Flange on PVC closet flange

Users who are viewing this thread

bluelogic

Reaction score
So one of my toilets was leaking so I thought maybe the seal went bad. So I decided to lift off the toilet and replace it. Behold the builder flange was completely rusted through. I called a plumber who mentioned they would chisel it out. Looking at my toolbox I was hmmm, I have a chisel and the flange wasn't screwed in the concrete and easily rotated when I hit it, so I went around lifting it and popped the ring off. I'm now confused about what I can put in place to replace it. I don't want to screw into concrete (I mean the builder didn't do that). I uploaded some pictures of it before I tore it off. The pipe is PVC.

Thanks
Eric

bluelogic-01.jpg

Attachments

• 20210208_014727650_iOS.jpg
    20210208_014727650_iOS.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 242
  • 20210208_014721887_iOS.jpg
    20210208_014721887_iOS.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 220

bluelogic

Reaction score
Oh, I see the metal ring was glued to that white part. I thought it wasn't because it came off so easy. So the white part is still in the drain. What can I do now I don't think it will come out.

Eric

bluelogic

Reaction score
I see. So would you consider this a DIY or should I really hire the plumber? I can use a hand saw to make vertical cuts and I have plenty of wood chisels.

Eric

bluelogic

Reaction score
Yes, it is a concrete slab and tile and there is no basement. I will hire a plumber to install a new fitting, should I suggest PVC or another stainless steel one? Also, I assume the other toilet in my house probably looks the same way. It hasn't broken yet but for the future is there something I could do or if the ring is messed up I'm hiring the same plumber again?

Eric

Reach4

Reaction score
If the plastic seems to be solidly in place, I would install a repair ring. The wax seal will seal against the plastic. The repair ring holds the closet bolts down.

Sioux Chief 886-MRM is a split repair ring. May be galvanized. Not sure
Oatey 42777 Moss Bay is a split repair ring. Split repair rings
can go under or into groove of remaining plastic edge. I am not sure. Seems to be galvanized, even tho some say stainless. Split rings may be able to hold the plastic in place.

https://www.grainger.com/product/HARVEY-Toilet-Flange-5PA60
https://www.lifeandhome.com/products/william-harvey-014710-toilet-flange-repair-ring-1-4
Harvey's 014710 is stainless split.

Sioux Chief 886-MR is not split. I think it would usually go over the top.
https://www.siouxchief.com/products/drainage/residential/closet-flanges/spacer-repair/ringer
Clearly says stainless now.

These are similar. Different brands use different colors.
Superior Model # 21015 repair ring has mounting tabs outside.
PASCO 21013 is similar in red
Jones Stephens C85000 is similar in blue.

red_ring_repair_1.jpg

bluelogic

Reaction score
Reach4,

The ring is no longer there just the plastic. I didn't see any type of repair ring for that problem. In addition the floor is concrete slab below.

Eric

Reach4

Reaction score
The ring is no longer there just the plastic. I didn't see any type of repair ring for that problem. In addition the floor is concrete slab below.
The kind in the picture of the red ring, I am sure would work, if the plastic is not moving around. To use the ears to hold that down, you would drill holes through the flooring into the concrete. Drilling clearance holes through ceramic tile is a little hard. Porcelain drilling is really hard, but is more probable that you have ceramic.

If you use the inner holes of the red ring, then you are not drilling tile. Drilling concrete is not so hard. I like Tapcons. Pros more often drill a bigger hole and use lead anchors. The ears/tabs sit atop the tile.

The split and non split rings would depend on clearance. Since they would go lower, there would be some question of fitting them in. I would secure those with Tapcons also. They usually sell the right drill for drilling concrete next to, or bundled with, the Tapcons. When using Tapcons, you must drill deeper than the screw goes, and you must blow out the dust before inserting the screw.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You're offset flange is in the concrete. It's not going anywhere. A repair flange secured with mushrooms will hold the closet bolts. With your situation, that's all you need, a way to hold the closet bolts.

I use a roto hammer on concrete and tile, a 1/4" bit with a Bosch rotohammer.

index.php

An offset flange.

I would leave the offset flange in place, and use a repair ring to hold the closet bolts.

quick-ring-terrylove-1.jpg

red-ring-repair-love-2.jpg

flange_01.jpg

Or just install a stainless flange to begin with. I really like the TKO from Sioux Chief.

Last edited:

Skoronesa

Reaction score

Attachments

• theclam.jpg
    theclam.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 251

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's always a last resort. Doing new construction sometimes the framers haven't laid out the joists right.
This one was a groundwork, but without seeing why they did it, I'm not going to complain about it. It is what it is.
Terry what fasteners do you like? mushroom head I haven't used or familiar with.
On the slab we used to wrap a lot of foam or cardboard but tends to not leave room for bolts, in addition the foam makes the ground work loose. better to use no wrap and an inside ring on ground floor

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Terry what fasteners do you like? mushroom head I haven't used or familiar with.
On the slab we used to wrap a lot of foam or cardboard but tends to not leave room for bolts, in addition the foam makes the ground work loose. better to use no wrap and an inside ring on ground floor

I haven't been doing groundworks for a while, but you're right. The foam around the pipe make it hard to secure a flange. They didn't make a good inside flange then that would sit flush but now they do. I like the inside flange, especially since most toilets have a 2" trapway which drops very nicely through one.

nail-mushroom.jpg

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I haven't been doing groundworks for a while, but you're right. The foam around the pipe make it hard to secure a flange. They didn't make a good inside flange then that would sit flush but now they do. I like the inside flange, especially since most toilets have a 2" trapway which drops very nicely through one.

nail-mushroom.jpg
cool thanks!

bluelogic

Reaction score
So the plumber finished and gave me some good advice and showed me what he did. He said don't remove the ring again. Instead, use the Oatey Stainless Steel Flange put it right on top, and screw it down with tapcon screws for the other toilet. The new flange probably lasts longer than the house if it burned down.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks