Replace exterior faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnON

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm looking to replace my exterior faucet and noticed the pipe is twisted. I am new to doing any plumbing but am trying to learn so your help is appreciated.
I am looking to get a new faucet and Teflon tape to replace what I currently have. Since I noticed the twisted pipe I am concerned when I twist to remove what is currently in place I may hit an issue I wasn't expecting.

Am I able to just twist the current pipe until it comes off?
Do I need to remove the screw and valve prior to removing the whole unit. The screw is stripped but I could drill it out.

Any thoughts on your end? The house & piping likely has never been changed since built in 1979. I was feeling confident until I saw how twisted the pipe was. We are replacing because it leaks when turned on from the attachment valve.

20200620_120751.jpg
20200620_120746.jpg
20200620_120757.jpg
20200620_120746.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It looks like some gray back there behind the valve, perhaps the valve was soldered on. If that is the case, you may as well go under the home and cut the back in the crawl area and couple on new pipe to a new valve. Twisting what you have will cause more damage behind the panel there.
They do make a Sharkbite fitting which is a push connect for those without a torch, flux and solder.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
It looks like some gray back there behind the valve, perhaps the valve was soldered on. If that is the case, you may as well go under the home and cut the back in the crawl area and couple on new pipe to a new valve. Twisting what you have will cause more damage behind the panel there.
They do make a Sharkbite fitting which is a push connect for those without a torch, flux and solder.
Call a plumber

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks