Replace Crane sink with American Standard Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Jechow

Reaction score
I have an old Crane sink that I would like to replace with an American Standard Sink. I know the width and depth of the two sinks but I'm not sure if the new sink will fit in the same hole because if the way it curves. I don't mind cutting a larger hole if necessary.

I would prefer not to purchase the sink to test the fit. I guess I could get the template from American Standard.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Is this a bathroom lav? Does it set on the counter? Or is it an undermount?
Common lav sizes are 19" round and 20" x 17" oval.

Jechow

Reaction score
Sorry for leaving out those obvious details.

Both sinks are counter top mounts (sits on the counter). I'm wonder what the pros do when a homeowner says they want to replace a builder Crane sink with say an American Standard Colony sink (0346)?

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
The way to tell is to remove the old sink and to try in the new sink. Buy the sink from a store that would take it back in case it doesn't fit.
If you need to cut, then cut.
As far as the drain, you will most likely have to customize it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A builder Crane sink if it's a 20x 17 would most likely be porcelain on steel, with some metal clips holding it down. In most cases, the 20-1/2" x 17-5/8" A/S Colony would drop right in. I don't see any issues with the drain from one to the next. I always pick up a new p-trap anyway and toss the old one. Same with the supply lines. I install the new lav and faucet, hooked up and with running water. Then I caulk it to the counter top and don't touch again until that sets.

This Colony should work if it isn't the 19" round that you have.

Last edited:

Jechow

Reaction score
IMG_20180918_204208.jpg
IMG_20180918_204116.jpg

Jechow

Reaction score
My existing sink is 21 1/4" including the rubber gasket. It looks like the hole in the countertop is wide and deep enough to expose the gasket from the underside. Does this mean that the hole is too big for the A/S Colony?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks