Repairing hole in PVC DWV

Users who are viewing this thread

thebay

Reaction score
While attempting to drill out a new hole in a stud shoe, due to a large knot in the stud interfering with the factory hole placement, I slid off the steel and put a 7/64" hole through the standpipe tail piece, right at the stud. I was working at a poor angle, rushing, and am already extremely upset with myself, and cursed loud enough that my 2 year old daughter now has added words to her limited vocabulary.

Picture is attached. Is there an effective recommended permanent repair option to patching the 7/64" hole? Looking at things like JB Weld waterweld, and not trying to tap in a small screw. Or will the real solution be to cut at each of the redlines indicated on the picture and rebuild it and reattach with banded couplings (ferncos)? - I'm hoping not.

It's a real tight area, and something like a 2" internal coupling would be slick, but I'm concerned about restricted flow, since this is for the washing machine.

Thanks for any advice

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-03-23 114420.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-03-23 114420.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 210

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I will sometimes use a repair coupling, cut it nearly in half lengthwise, and glue that over the hole.
A repair coupling doesn't have the ridge in the middle. Also called a slip coupling.

thebay

Reaction score
I will sometimes use a repair coupling, cut it nearly in half lengthwise, and glue that over the hole.
A repair coupling doesn't have the ridge in the middle. Also called a slip coupling.

Thanks for the idea. I like it, but unfortunately, the hole is right on the edge/behind the stud shoe, and would not get full coverage

thebay

Reaction score
Just get a reamer or ram bit:

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/pvcsaver.html

and do both sides of the 2 inch pipe. Cut the pipe close to the vent. Hopefully your standpipe can be removed easily so you can get at the one side through the stud and then do the side near the standpipe.

This is great, thank you for the advice. Didn't know these existed, and looks to be the option I will be going with. Moving the standpipe out of the way will be no issue, to drill out the tee through the hole in the stud.

Reach4

Reaction score
Or will the real solution be to cut at each of the redlines indicated on the picture and rebuild it and reattach with banded couplings (ferncos)? - I'm hoping not.
That may be easier than you suspect.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks