Repair drain pipe with epoxy on the outside

Users who are viewing this thread

baskervi

Reaction score
We have a damaged 3" PVC pipe a few inches from a cross fitting. Everything is dug up, the hole is found, and the tree root is removed, but I was wondering what the possibility of using epoxy putty on the outside of the pipe to fix the problem area. The hole is approximately 3/8" wide by 1.5" long. I've seen epoxy lining on the inside, so I figured this might work. Thanks

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
How about getting a banded coupler. Remove the rubber, and slice the rubber long ways. Put it around the pipe with the slit opposite to the damage. Then put the stainless steel band around the rubber, and tighten.

The coupling would be a Fernco 3005-33.

I am not a pro.

baskervi

Reaction score
Thanks, Reach4 - I like this idea. I might feel a little more comfortable cutting out a piece of pipe to prevent having a slice in the rubber where there may be a potential leak in the future. This happened at the right time - we had the tile pulled up to do a bathroom remodel when we had to unclog the sewer pipe again, but in the future, I won't have this luxury. Thanks for your input, and I'll certainly consider this.

Reach4

Reaction score
Try this search in a search engine: "3 in. PVC Slide Repair Coupling"

Also, you can use unbanded rubber couplings underground. If you put in a new section of pipe to replace a cut-out section, you use two couplings. Dish detergent is good as a lube to slide the rubber over pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks