Removing toilet where the bowl has been set/siliconed to the tile.

Users who are viewing this thread

dannyb007

Reaction score
Is it difficult or easy for a plumber to seamlessly remove and replace a toilet bowl with the exact same one where the original was set / siliconed to the tile?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
If it was caulked in along the edge with a bead it could be easy. But if the bottom of the toilet received a heavy fat bead of silicone and then set on the tile, yes it can be a bear. Depending on how old the silicone is it can be difficult to cut through. Siliconized caulk is preferred, not 100% silicone. Did a plumber look at this?

dannyb007

Reaction score
If it was caulked in along the edge with a bead it could be easy. But if the bottom of the toilet received a heavy fat bead of silicone and then set on the tile, yes it can be a bear. Depending on how old the silicone is it can be difficult to cut through. Siliconized caulk is preferred, not 100% silicone. Did a plumber look at this?

I believe it is silicone. A small tidy bead. Will be the exact same bowl replacing it.

dannyb007

Reaction score

I believe it is silicone. A small tidy bead. Will be the exact same bowl replacing it. Silicone is a couple months old now.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
If it is white or another color it's siliconized caulk. If it is clear then 100% silicone. There is clear siliconized caulk but usually hard to find and rarely used.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I use a flat knife blade to clean the caulking off from tile. White caulking is a mess. Clear, much better.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks