bubbles in toilet tank and leaking onto bowl

Users who are viewing this thread

robman

Reaction score
Hi I have a Toto Promenade (probably installed 20 years ago) toilet which is leaking water fairly constantly into the bowl. I have replaced the flapper and it is still happening. I looked through this site and could not find the exact problem. It has air bubbles coming from the bottom of the fill tube, which is the only thing I can imagine is causing the problem. It is the smaller tube, that does not run through the base of the tank, that has the bubbles. What is causing this and what must I fix or replace?

Thanks

Robman

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the tank is refilling then you're losing water down the bowl. And if you've replaced the flapper to no avail, then likely you need to change out the entire flush assembly. There may be a worn spot or a crack that you cant see.

The part and the procedure are different whether you have a 2pc or a 1pc toilet.

robman

Reaction score
It is a two piece Toto Promenade. And yes, I see a large trickle of water entering the bowl. I also assume the bubbling from the little tube of the fill tube is a telltale sign of something. Do I need to replace the fill tube or more than that?

Thanks
Robman

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Put food coloring or colored tablet available at any hardware store in the tank without flushing and watch for tank color appearing in the bowl. If leaking then you have isolated one part of the issue.

robman

Reaction score
The tank is definitely leaking--I can see water trickling into the bowl. It does not appear to be from the flapper as I have replaced that but aside from the gasket between the tank and the bowl, i am not sure what else the problem can be. I do not know where the bubbles from the smaller tube on the fill valve originate from but I am assuming if there are bubbles it means water is going out somewhere and air coming in. Do I need to replace the fill valve completely or is there a washer to replace in it or can something be tightened etc?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Water flowing from the tank to bowl could be from two points. The flush valve can leak either at the flapper or in some instances the overflow tube or even the gasket that attaches it to the tank. You've already addressed the flapper, the most likely and that didn't resolve it. The fill valve could also be leaking past the refill tube but I suspect you would have seen that. Sometimes there are cracks in the overflow tube that can drain the tank, ive never experienced it so not sure how to diagnose it.

Honestly, there are 2 main components in a tank. The fill valve and the flush valve. Maybe just replace both and be done with it.

Reach4

Reaction score
Turn off the water to the toilet with the stop valve at the wall. See where the water level in the tank stops dropping.

robman

Reaction score
I'm going to get a new fill valve tomorrow and hopefully that will do the trick. The bubbles I see are from the fill valve's smaller tube. Thanks again

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm going to get a new fill valve tomorrow and hopefully that will do the trick. The bubbles I see are from the fill valve's smaller tube. Thanks again

Premature IMO. It is not hard to turn off the water to the toilet overnight.

But even if the water is going over the top of the overflow, the problem may be as simple as adjusting the current fill valve down, or getting the refill tube to not go into the overflow tube (hold it up with a clip).

Reach4

Reaction score
So the problem is not the fill valve.

There are degrees of empty. Empty down to the flush valve seat is more common. In that case, you want to rub the seat with a cloth to clear any debris, and replace the flapper valve. Korky and Fluidmaster make good ones.

It is also possible that the water drops lower, down the bottom of the tank. In that case, there is a problem with the flapper valve itself or seal.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Turned off water and it drains out ? should be a big help in explaining that its in the flush valve , tank to bowl connection, or overflow tube cracked at base. the bubbles I have no idea what that is ?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks