Redoing shower drain and need feedback from plumbers if it will drain properly

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the center one is a bidet, then the trap stays in the floor.
If I were plumbing that bathroom in Washington State, I would have needed to vent those fixtures.
The pipe going up in post 18 would not have passed here for anything but the toilet.
Maybe they do things very differently in Montreal.

MCU

Reaction score
so in Washington you need to vent each and every fixtures seperately? Like you said maybe it's done differently here or maybe just had a bad plumber than did it initially when the house was built. so if this is not going to get inspected, would it still work well the way it's done now? I just want it to drain properly before we close it all up

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have an S-trap going on there and everything else that Terry & HJ pointed out as well as a joist that has a hole in it that is too close to the bottom ( must be in the middle 3rd and no bigger than 1/3rd the joist width)

MCU

Reaction score
You have an S-trap going on there and everything else that Terry & HJ pointed out as well as a joist that has a hole in it that is too close to the bottom ( must be in the middle 3rd and no bigger than 1/3rd the joist width)

The hole in the joist is 2 1/2" on a 9 1/2" joist. i think the pic is giving the illusion its much bigger.

Thanks for all the help guys. I was going with how it was done before. Will it work this way and just not pass today's code, or do I need to redo everything down to the drain?

MCU

Reaction score
don't mean to sound impatient but I would like to get this done so I can go on to building my floor and shower. Please guys, let me know what I should do to correct it. I understand that you all say it's an S-trap, but I don't understand what is making it a strap and how to make it a p-trap

thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
the bottom of the 3" is about 1/4" above the forence on the below ceiling and the bottom of the ptrap is just about the same also

That is completely irrelevent. as far as the physics of it is concerned, the top of the trap's "U" bend has to be BELOW the top of the point where the trap connects to the main line, but codes do NOT use that as a reference point. That system must have been put in by someone who was told, "Anyone can become a plumber if they read MY book and can put some fittings together". NEither the bidet or shower is vented as defined by most, if not all, codes, and it was NEVER correct even when it was installed originally.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks