Recovery time question

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by banjo bud, Dec 5, 2018 at 7:10 AM.

1. banjo bud

banjo bud Member

there’s something I don’t quite understand. My pump puts out 7 GPM. My tank drawdown is 1.5 gallons. Why does it take 43 seconds to refill 1.5 gallons? Shouldn’t it take less than 15 seconds? I know 43 seconds is good, I’m just curious as to why it tskes that long.

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

A centrifugal pump puts out less water as the backpressure increases. The CSV that you have provides controlled backpressure to throttle the pump once the pressure is above the setpoint. At that point, the pump flow is throttled to about 1 gpm.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. banjo bud

banjo bud Member

Ahhh. That makes sense. Thanks

5. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    Yeah the CSV will give you as much water as you want and deliver it at a strong constant (steady) pressure. But when you are not using any water, the internal bypass in the CSV only lets the pressure tank fill at about 1 GPM. With the CSV set at 50 PSI using a 40/60 pressure switch, the tank is half full before the CSV starts working. So when you stop using water, it should take about 45 seconds to put the last .75 of a gallon in that tank.