New Pump - Old Working Tank - Add a Second Tank in Series?

Users who are viewing this thread

mwinston

Reaction score
Our well pump failed and it cost $2,700 to replace (ouch). The technician put in a 3" 3/4HP 10 GPM Grundfos SQ10 - 290 replacing a 4" 1 1/4 HP Fairbanks Morse. The old pump and a Well-X-Trol 302 86 Gallon pressure tank were installed in 2006.

This is my first foray into understanding well systems and your help is appreciated in advance. I am uncomfortable having an old pressure tank and am exploring adding a second tank in series. The Amtrol website tank sizing tool reports a 44 gallon tank is correct for this 3/4 hp 10 GPM pump. Research indicates that a larger tank is better in general. So my tentative plan is to install a 44 gallon tank in series as a fail safe and to create a larger reservoir.

Does the new tank benefit from a pressure relief valve and drain or is it functional to do a simple t into the existing water line? I understand both tanks need to be charged at the same pressure. Other considerations?

When the old tank eventually fails would it make sense to add a second 44 gallon tank to replace the 302 to further extend system life and redundancy? If not can I leave the bad tank hooked up?

Am I overthinking this? What is the actual risk that the pump will get damaged when the old tank eventually fails if I monitor system behavior?

Thank you!!!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Research that recommends a larger pressure tank is over 30 years old. There are much better ways to control a pump these days and a large tank is not one of them. A pressure tanks only purpose is to limit the on/off cycles, which is what destroys pumps. When you have something like a Cycle Stop Valve to stop the cycling, you don't need a very large pressure tank. A Cycle Stop Valve and a 4.5 or 10 gallon size tank will do a better job than a room full of pressure tanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks