New pressure pump cycles when reaches top pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

RiverbedRanch

Reaction score
On my off-grid homestead, I'm using 1.5" PVC pipes to bring water into my pump house from my 2,400 gallon tanks. The pump and pressure tank are brand new. Got it all hooked up and turned it on. Pressure built up until it hit 60psi. Then the pump starts cycling on and off every second or less.
Tweaked the settings up and down trying to get it to switch off. Won't. I installed the pump at roughly the height of the top of the pressure tank (so it wouldn't short out if the underground pump house ever floods). So there's a good six feet of pipe between the pump and the pressure tank. Wondering if the pump has to be closer.... Wondering if the cycling could be due to air in the PVC pipes... at a loss.
Guidance would be appreciated!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sounds like you need a check valve.
PK1A jet pump.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Valveman is always correct.

Was the empty pressure tank pre charged at 38 PSI? If the bladder is blown, pressing the pin on the schrader valve only air should come out, not water.

RiverbedRanch

Reaction score
Valveman is always correct.

Was the empty pressure tank pre charged at 38 PSI? If the bladder is blown, pressing the pin on the schrader valve only air should come out, not water.
Yes, the tank was pre-charged. Though, the instructions on the pressure pump said to reduce it to 28psi, which I did. (Don't remember now if that was before or after turning on the pump for the first time).

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Yes, the tank was pre-charged. Though, the instructions on the pressure pump said to reduce it to 28psi, which I did. (Don't remember now if that was before or after turning on the pump for the first time).
Precharge for 40/60 is 38, 30/50 is 28.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks