Question on Replacing Aquasource Shower Head Cartridge

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by davet1, Feb 4, 2011.

  1. davet1

    davet1 New Member

    Feb 4, 2011
    los angeles
    I just had a bathroom remodel done and the contractor has disappeared. The shower head is an Aquasource brand, bought at Lowe's. Apparently, when it was installed, the fellow installed the hot/cold lines incorrectly. Now, when the handle of the shower control flow is all the way down, and the water should be cold, it's hot. And when you turn the handle up to the top (where the red is indicated) the water is cold. So you can use it, but when you turn the water handle down (for off) the water gets almost scalding. And you certainly can't sell the house with this weird defect.

    Thinking it was a simple fix, I had a Plumber come look at it. He said because these brands are sold as kits at places like Lowes, he doesn't know how to get a replacement cartridge. He said what I needed, unless I want someone to have to tear everything out and redo it, is to get a "reverse cartridge" which would fit where the Aquasource cartridge is. Does this make sense? He said he doesn't deal with these kits and doesn't know if there's a reverse cartridge made for it or not.

    The Shower head is Loews Part No. 71441, and here is what it looks like:

    Please help! Thanks.

  2. jadnashua

    jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

    Sep 2, 2004
    Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    New England
    On some models, the cartridge can be rotated 180-degrees after you remove the handle...if you're lucky, this may fix it.
  3. Sponsor

    Sponsor Paid Advertisement

  4. jimbo

    jimbo Plumber

    Aug 31, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    Since Aquasource seems to be lowes private label, we will have no idea if the cartridge is reversible, or if they sell a "reverse" cartridge. There is probably an 800 number on the paper work that came with it. Give them a call.
  5. hj

    hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

    Aug 31, 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona
    Very few valves need a "reversing cartridge". The majority just have to be reversed, usually by rotating the cartridge 180 degrees but some do it by other means.
Similar Threads: Question Replacing
Forum Title Date
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Replacing Valve Stem Question Nov 15, 2010
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Replacing Shower and Tub Valve Set - Questions Oct 28, 2010
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Replacing shower fixtures. Numerous questions Feb 7, 2010
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Question regarding replacing a fiberglass tub in a apartment! Jan 26, 2009
Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog Replacing a tub with a shower stall - drainage question Jul 14, 2006

Share This Page