PVC pipe separated, can I just clean it and glue it back together?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dave Mescher

Reaction score
My plumbing experience has been limited to replacing some of the hardware in my toilet tank, and fixing a leaky trap (by replacing the trap, sink faucet, and drain pipe to the wall). I haven't worked with PVC pipe at all (yet).
Apologies if I misuse any terms, I'm not a plumber by trade.

In any case, the PVC drain pipe from one half of my sink has separated at the L-joint. There is some pipe between the now-open joint, and the sink itself.
The glue? that is exposed on the pipe attached to the sink appears black (the surface is rough to the touch), I don't know the state of the glue on the inside of the L-joint, although the surface seemed smooth when I stuck my finger in there. Said finger didn't come back with any interesting slime, I don't know the color of the pipe's surface inside of the joint.
There is a gap now, making for a mess when we use that half of the sink.
I don't see any other leaks at this time.

So, do I need to replace all the PVC pipe from the garbage disposal to the sink, or can I just sand both parts of the separated joint, apply solvent, and liberally apply cement?

Also, I'm seeing online that one should use PVC glue on PVC pipe, and CPVC glue on CPVC pipe. How do I tell the differences between the two?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Drains lines in white are PVC, so that would take PVC glue.
You can also install tubular fittings which use slip joint nuts and washers. You don't need glue for those.
How did those fittings separate? Normally the glued fittings are permanent.

disposer-piping-change-5.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Mescher

Reaction score
Drains lines in white are PVC, so that would take PVC glue.
You can also install tubular fittings which use slip joint nuts and washers. You don't need glue for those.
How did those fittings separate? Normally the glued fittings are permanent.

Darned if I know how they separated. All I know is there was one helluva mess under the kitchen sink last night, and some pretty clear airspace between the two pieces.

They may have been poorly glued (or not glued at all), the previous homeowner thought themselves handy. (Although it's been 14 years since they left.) The dishwasher installers may have knocked the pipe around, although that was a few years ago.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Post a picture so we can see what you have.

PVC uses a cement...it literally melts the plastic, and then when the solvent evaporates, it becomes 'one'...you wouldn't be able to pull it apart without tearing up the pipe if it was done right.

Reach4

Reaction score
That is not a fitting that should have been glued. Maybe you need a longer tailpiece (white above your fingertip) or tailpiece extension. Clean up what you can, and replace what you cannot clean up.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Your tailpiece is not long enough, and the tension from bending that grey rubber fitting pulled the pipe out of the slip joint fitting below your tailpiece.

FWIW, there are some reducer fittings that would allow you to get rid of that grey piece.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks