Pump drain plug help

Users who are viewing this thread

Tnixa

Reaction score
I have an older shallow well pump that i winterize every year. Part of the area where the drain plug screws in has rusted off so I attempted to install a needle valve so i wouldn't have to remove it every year. But while screwing in the needle valve it started going sideways so maybe the threads were not the same as the plug. The drain plug would not screw in nicely afterwards but I was finally able to get it to go in a bit but still not as far as i would like.

Should try to use a tap to clean up the threads or is replacing the pump the better option?

IMG_1256.jpg
IMG_1254.jpg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Looks like part of the boss for the threads on the pump is broken off? May not be enough left to thread. 1/4 NPT pipe tap will work if there is enough meat left to thread.

Tnixa

Reaction score
Looks like part of the boss for the threads on the pump is broken off? May not be enough left to thread. 1/4 NPT pipe tap will work if there is enough meat left to thread.
Correct, some of the threads are broken off on the left side. There are about 4 or 5 threads left.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks