How many sump pump weep holes needed?

Users who are viewing this thread

kcallstate

Reaction score
Sump pump system running flawlessly for past eight years. Normal cycle lasted five to ten seconds to empty most of the water in the basin. During heavy rains it would cycle on and off every five minute or so. After a recent preventative service call, the tech said everything looks good but I added an extra relief hole. The cycle times shout up to sixty seconds afterwards over a recent weekend storm. Upon watching the pump in action it appeared the check valve was barely opening (clear valve housing). So I quickly replaced the valve thinking that was the issue. Cycle times dropped but only to thirty to forty seconds. Called company that did service and asked about second weep hole and they said shouldn’t affect cycle time. I took a video showing both weep holes expelling water back into the basin. Is it possible that the extra hole recently drilled is affecting the pumps performance? Either by putting too much water back into the basin or creating enough loss of pressure that it takes longer to get rid of the same amount of water?? Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
more weep holes = more flow capability. also, water with new path could have less silt blocking flow, for now at least.
can't have too many weep holes.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Weep holes in basin are defferant than discharge pipe discharge has one never heard of 2 but Eager to hear of anyone recomending more than 1

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you calling the 3/16 inch hole in the drop pipe a "weep hole". I don't see advantage to two unless you find the pump starting and having a delay before water gets pumping for real. The purpose of that hole is to allow an air bubble in the pump to escape, so the impeller can sling the water rather than be spinning in air.

What are you calling a cycle time-- time between starts, or pump start to stop time?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
never heard of multiple holes in the discharge i see you are using 2 names weep hole and relief hole . as I mentioned above . if you asked the pump man about weep holes sure more weep holes is ok more relief holes I dont think you need that. I got a feeling you screwed up

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks