Problem with new shallow well

Users who are viewing this thread

Theonecloned

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm hoping a shallow well expert can help me out with an issue with a new well.

About 6 months ago I drove a new shallow well for my mother. I think my first mistake was going to the local fleet store to buy the 1-1/4 galvanized pipe. Probably not the highest quality pipe in town. The threads on one of the pipes got destroyed as I was driving it. I had to cut new threads in one of the pipes before adding another section. I couldn't cut the pipe off with a pipe cutter because of the tight quarters so I used a grinder with a metal cutting blade. Before cutting the pipe I stuffed a rag in it to stop the sparks and shavings from dropping to the sand point. After cutting the new threads I cleaned out the end and pulled the rag out and continued on.

The rest of the diving went good and I got the new pump plumbed in and it was working great. A couple weeks later is when the rust problem started. I checked the whole house filter and I could see specks of rust on the filter. I keep an eye on the filter and have been changing it every few days depending on how rusting the water is getting.

Iron is not really an issue in my area so I am assuming some of the shavings from cutting new threads made their way down the pipe.

Is there a way to clean the pipe out or am I going to have to get a new sand point and pipe and do the whole thing over?

What are my options? What other information do you need to assist me?

Theonecloned

Reaction score
Probably not your cuttings as much as just a galvanized point. When rust is a problem use Stainless Steel.
Thanks for the reply. The point I drove was stainless.

I'm hoping to avoid pulling this and driving a new one but if it comes to that I'll spend the extra money to get better quality pipe and point.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks