Shallow well troubles

Users who are viewing this thread

krocken980

Reaction score
I've been trying to put in a shallow well for irrigation. The shallow water table in my area is likely 12-18 feet. I first tried a sand point, with an 18 pound t-post pounder that made it about 9 feet down then stopped, I ran some water down and was able to pound it another foot then it stopped completely. Not sure what it hit, I wasn't able to turn the point anymore. Tried pulling it out with a 2 ton car jack and it maxed out. Tried a couple more times and the pipe broke with threads still in the coupling.

Still determined, I've been trying to wash down using some of the 1-1/4" galvanized steel pipe that had broken threads, I cut some teeth into with an angle grinder. I washed down 4 more holes that all hit something real hard about 8-11 feet down. When rotating back and forth I could feel the teeth sliding over something hard and mostly smooth. Only one felt like it was gravel that I still couldn't get through, not the sand/clay material from the top 10 feet. When I pulled the pipe out the steel teeth were fairly dulled.

I'm wondering if I should keep trying in different spots to see if I can get past whatever is down there. Of if some other technique may be better. The adjustable hand auger that can be extended with 3/4" pipe seemed interesting but I'm not sure it would get through whatever hard pack I'm hitting.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is called a "sand point" for a reason. It really only works in sandy formations. If you hit rock, gravel, or hard pan you will not be able to drive or wash in a sand point. It takes some power, weight, and the right bit to drill through hard pan or rock. I would drive a small locator rod until I found a place with no hard material. Otherwise, you will need a good rock drill rig.

krocken980

Reaction score
Not sure what kind of locator rod I could use to probe down more than 10 feet, it's smooth sailing with the wash down method for about 8-10' after I dig out the first couple feet of sand/rocks its just soft clay until the hard pack. Maybe a full length of rebar?
I did some more digging, the hard formation will bend the teeth in on my 1-1/4" steel pipe if I pound it in at all, and it seems to stretch all of the lower flat area of my property. I'm at the bottom of a large hill and there are very large boulders jetting out of the ground all over, going up the hill a bit (where there's even more boulders) I couldn't dig down more than 2-3 feet without hitting some granite boulder that wouldn't budge. I believe I've just got some shallow bedrock from the hill continuing down.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks