Pro PEX fitting into whole house water filter - Teflon or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Caryncbreeef

Reaction score
Hello friends, so getting ready to run the PEX A in the house. I am bringing 1” PEX off of the 3/4” copper from the street to the utility room. I'll run a bypass with valves just in case. I bought pro PEX brand 1” NPT to connect to the in/out of the filter system (putting brass unions on either side of the plumbing just in case). Instructions say nothing whatsover regarding Teflon. I have read 2 wraps for plastic, hand tight, then 1/2 a turn.

Would like to hear some pros thoughts. I do my research before just posting willy nilly - but can’t find something that seems legit and not written by a. bot!

Thanks all, happy plumbing

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
The popular Blue Monster tape says something like 'three wraps' on the label.
We often use a slight smear of good joint compound on the Teflon as well.
One Teflon tape rep said to use the extra smear.
I can make leak free joints either way. But I've never heard of 1/2 turn after hand tight, nor ever employed such.
Every fire sprinkler system installer I've ever seen seem to use that belt/suspenders method.

Caryncbreeef

Reaction score
The popular Blue Monster tape says something like 'three wraps' on the label.
We often use a slight smear of good joint compound on the Teflon as well.
One Teflon tape rep said to use the extra smear.
I can make leak free joints either way. But I've never heard of 1/2 turn after hand tight, nor ever employed such.
Every fire sprinkler system installer I've ever seen seem to use that belt/suspenders method.
Thanks, you mean drywall joint compound, right?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Pipe dope, thread sealant, not drywall mud.
Three wraps and a smear of dope over it. And then tighten the fittings up.
Hand tight and then a 1/2 turn? Nobody thinks like that. It needs to be tight.

pipe-dope-dope.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks