Price Pfister kitchen faucet, couple issues

Users who are viewing this thread

greenjp

Reaction score
Two issues going on with my kitchen faucet, not sure if they're related or not. First, the handle has gotten quite stiff to move. I have no idea what brand this is and a search for the number on the valve returned nothing. It's at least 13 years old and no more than 23 or so. Here are some photos - anyone know what it is? The tan plastic thing (sorry for blurry photo, I can take a better one if needed) screws down around the top of the valve, then the trim piece in the same photo screws down onto it. The handle is attached to the valve by a screw accessed by unscrewing a little cap on the top.

Second problems seems to involve the diverter valve for the hose. What happens is when the faucet is running there will be a clunk sound and the flow will decrease significantly. A quick tap of the trigger on the hose and it goes back to normal. If it's the diverter, is that a generic type part or would I need it to match the mystery faucet?

jeff

IMG_0268.jpg

IMG_0270.jpg IMG_0271.jpg IMG_0268.jpg IMG_0269.jpg

PlumbNuts

SC Licensed Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
riverviewplumbingrepair.com
Instead of showing your lavatory sink show a picture of the faucet that you removed the parts from, maybe I can identify for you.
The cartridge looks similar to a Kohler but not positve yet.

greenjp

Reaction score
Yes Marlinman, that's it! Ok so I should replace the cartridge, and I might get a new retainer nut (962-075) as the one in there got a little banged up during the removal and reinstallation. It's a weird soft plastic material. Am I correct that I should replace the diverter valve (951-039) to fix the issue with the flow?

IMG_0272.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The gray on the bottom of the diverter is normally a push fit.
The top part looks like it threads on.

treviso-parts-1.jpg

This is from a newer Phister faucet that uses a clip to hold the diverter on.

greenjp

Reaction score
Ok the new valve and retainer nut are in and the handle movement is much nicer.

Still waiting for the diverter to arrive. Here's a photo of the current one, the copper coming out the end is going to the faucet, the braided hose on the left is the supply coming from the valve. I am not sure what I'm looking at here in terms of these connections and how to break (and then remake) them. All three have a little grey insert looking thing. Is there a technique or special tool for releasing these?

IMG_0280.jpg

greenjp

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. I received the part today and got it installed which has fixed the problem. Two of the three push fittings were a bear to release, while the 3rd came off with almost no effort. Installation of the new one went very quickly and without leaks.

jeff

Lantz

Reaction score
I have this exact same Pfister series 26 Murielle faucet. There are two completely different style Spout setups which are very different.

This style uses a long, brass/copper Inlet Line that goes straight through the body of the Spout and out the open end of the threaded tube. This style uses the brass Diverter with the two gray push style connections, top to the Spout Inlet Line, bottom to sprayer and side copper tube IN to Handle hose with push connection. Shown in OP home photo.

IMG_0317.jpeg

Question
My Spout was leaking out the top of the Inlet Line. I bought a new one which screws in using a large hex wrench. This Line is not meant to be screwed down tight all the way or you won’t be able to move the Spout left and right between dual sinks. It is just snug so the Spout moves with some tension. As I move the Spout back and forth it eventually unscrews the Line and it starts to leak out the top.
I noticed the original Line has some sort of sealant or mild thread lock on the very fine threads. The original Line was pretty snug due o the sealant when I had to unscrew it, so this seems to have kept the Line from unscrewing in this application.
Can you tell me what is used on the threads?

IMG_0316.jpeg

——————-
The other style is shown in the illustration posted by Terry and all over online. I can’t seem to find an illustration of my style which causes confusion, because the style in the illustration shows the Spout with the closed end and uses a plastic Diverter that has a very different top connection. The photo here shows the Diverter upside down. It uses a pin to hold it in place when pushed onto the bottom of the Spout.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks