Pressure Booster Pump recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

trez63

Reaction score
Hi all,

I live on a hill in Southern California and the highest my city pressure gets is 55. The shower valves on the 2nd floor really need more pressure (They're brand new Brizo/Delta valves limited to CA limits). Even with CA limits these valves are not getting enough pressure so the water basically just pours out and doesn't push out.
All the neighbors are experiencing basically the same issue and they mostly have installed booster pumps.

I'm working with a plumber who is recommending I install a Grundfos Scala2 or MQ3-45 pumps.
The reviews I read on Scala2 frighten me because they seem to break down and leak within about a year.
The Grundfos CMBE 1-44 seems more robust but that's a lot more pricey.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a pump that can boost my 55psi to about 80psi? My budget is right around $1000 for the device. Ideally the pump will be an all-encompassing device without the need to install additional items to get the pressure up and steady.

Please note that this will be used to boost city pressure and not a well.

Thank you!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Your installer is recommending what is best for him, which is the worst thing for you. Those "all-encompassing devices" like the MQ and Scalla are meant to "sound" attractive and be replaced often, which means more of your money going to the installer and pump manufacturer. A regular pressure tank/pressure switch is the most reliable way to control any pump. The only problem with this old tried and true method is that the pump cycles on and off repeatedly. Adding a simple Cycle Stop Valve before the pressure tank/pressure switch solves all the problems with cycling with a standard pressure tank system. Here is a booster pump that ran 53 years using a device similar to the CSV.
https://terrylove.com/forums/index....anyone-know-what-kind-of-valve-this-is.83778/

Your installer and pump manufacturer will never mention these, and will try to make you think they are bad if you find out about them. Pump companies push what makes them the most money. So, for pump longevity you need to use a control they don't recommend. Here are a few pictures of similar systems and what the pump owners say about them.
https://cyclestopvalves.com/pages/reviews

Here is how it works.

trez63

Reaction score
Thank you for the info. I suspected that the single unit jobs were not going to be that great. I'm surprised that there aren't more choices out there. It seems that if they can make a pump that boosts the pressure, they should be able to make a good pump that boosts the pressure.
I'll talk to my guy about the solution you have proposed and hopefully he can help me.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The problem is they don't want to make a good one. They want to make it last just past the warranty period. It would only cost them about 5 dollars to make a pump that would last forever, but there is no money in that for them. ;)

Ed P5

Reaction score
Which pump would you recommend to go along with a cycle stop valve for the following use case ...

I am hoping to find the quietest pump possible that can boost my city 37 psi to 60s or 70s psi. I need decent pressure to attic (3rd floor) shower/bath that is at a completely unacceptable pressure today.

The pump will be located in a basement utility room that is adjacent to a family room / home theater room. Thanks for the help!

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com

That controller on top of the pump is one of those flow switch operated things. Nearly every pump company has a version with a different name. The first ones I encountered were the Presscontrol or Masscontrol. They have no control over the pressure and the pump runs at max pressure all the time, and is only shut down when flow is less than about 1/5th of a GPM. Those devices are not known for lasting very long or for making the pump it controls last very long, which is why nearly every pump company has a version of.

Go with a regular jet pump. Use a Cycle Stop Valve and regular pressure switch to control it. I would use a J10S or a J15S pump with a PK1A kit set at 60/80 and a 10 gallon size pressure tank. You will have a strong constant 70 PSI from the setting of the CSV, and you won't have to think about your water system ever again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks