Need some advice on improving our setup

Users who are viewing this thread

OnTheHillVA

Reaction score
Hello. I am in need of some advice to improve our current setup.
We bought this home in 2021, but it was built in the 70s and was using gravity fed spring until ~2013 when the city water came. We live in southern Virginia on the side of a mountain. We connect to the city water at the road with 1" PVC.

The total length of our water line is approximately 2,140 ft long.
Length (ft)Beginning elevationEnding elevationElevation change
Section 1 - Between city meter and booster pump
1153​
1325​
1467​
142​
Section 2 - Between booster pump and above house to connect to old spring box plumbing to house
730​
1467​
1536​
69​
Section 3 - Coming into house
257​
1536​
1500​
-36​
Total:
2140​
(These are rough estimates from walking the line with a GPS tracker and reviewing in Google Earth)

Coming into the booster pump (at the end of section 1), we have about 20psi and ~3gpm flow rate. Sometimes a little more or less, depending on neighborhood usage.
The booster pump is/was a Goulds 7GBC07 with an 60/80 pressure switch. A 45 gallon pressure tank is at this location as well. I now realize the low flow rate was probably starving the pump.
Unfortunately, we had the suction side pipe of the booster pump blow off recently, most likely ruining the pump as it ran dry.
We have had a few different problems with fittings/pipes blowing on the pump discharge side as well, and recently replaced the section between the booster pump and the well tee with galvanized 1".

My pump guy is recommending either replacing the 1" water line with 2" or to put a 500 gallon water tank where the booster pump is as well.
I don't think I want to get into replacing the 1" line if there is another way this could work.

It's been a rough 6 months battling different water problems and trying to find the best solution that could get us working reliably again. We have basic working water now, but have to be careful and only use one faucet at a time, have low pressure, and once we ran out of water until the city water made it up the hill again.

I appreciate any advice you may have.

Thank you

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
That is a long way to go with 1" pipe. You really can't draw water that far through 1" pipe, maybe not even 2" pipe. It would be best if the booster pump could be at the meter, pushing through 2" pipe to the house. Without moving the pump and replacing the line, the cistern storage tank with a float valve would be best. With 500 gallons in storage the booster pump can supply as much water as needed, and you would no longer have to live with the "Green Acres" type setup.

Just fill the cistern with a float valve instead of a well pump and it would look like this.
LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks