Shallow well pump or pressure booster pump

Users who are viewing this thread

mehalsted

Reaction score
I built a new house that is connected to a rural gravity fed water system. My problem is my house is on a hill that is close to the same height as the rural water tank that supplies my house water. I have 6 gpm which is ok but my pressure is 10 psi. I'm planning on installing a pump to boost pressure and a pressure tank as well. I'd like to know which pump you would recommend. Shallow well or pressure boosting pump. I realize I would need to install a pressure switch with the Shallow well pump. I have read the reviews on the pressure boosting pumps and as a whole they are not good. Thanks

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Sorry I missed this. Moving it to the pump and well forum.

Any pump is only as good as the pump control system. Multi-stage booster pumps are fine if you need a lot of pressure. Normally a shallow well jet pump will boost plenty of pressure, and with the right pump control either pump is fine. I would use like a 1HP shallow well jet pump and control it with a Cycle Stop Valve using the PK1A kit. You can turn that 10 PSI into a constant 50 PSI and will no longer need soap in the shower. Lol!

PK1A jet pump.jpg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You can boost up to 60 PSI using a 1.5HP shallow well jet pump. But if you need more than that a multi-stage booster can give you all the pressure you want. I have set these kind up to boost as high as 140 PSI. But for that kind of pressure you will need a little larger tank and pressure switch than comes in the normal PK1A kit. It depends on the pressure and flow you want to size the tank and pump as needed. You would need the PK1ALT kit with a heavy duty pressure switch for higher pressures.

Multistage booster and PK1A.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks