Cycle Stop Valve or Hydroservant, Does anyone know what kind of valve this is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Colinnium

Reaction score
The valve in question is a tee at the pressure tank, with a pressure gauge on top. It is rusty as hell but I can make out "hydro servant". Any idea what should replace it or what function it serves? I'm not even sure if it is doing anything at this point. I know this setup is not long for this world so I'm preparing myself mentally and financially for a repair :)

hydroservant-2.jpg

hydroservant-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
LOL yeah that is a Hydroservant. Use to me made by Red Jacket. They quit making those things because they make pumps last too long. It is probably 30-40 years old and has saved many pumps and tanks over the years. The Hydroservant was a good idea and only had a few design flaws that have been solved with the Cycle Stop Valve. A CSV1A would make a good replacement for that. While you are at it you could just get the whole PK1A kit that comes with a new 4.5 gallon tank and everything you need.

See this....
https://cyclestopvalves.com/pages/pk1a-pside-kick

Colinnium

Reaction score
For sure the pump is really old as well... I'm told 1966. Still works ok, just a bit loud. Did it essentially do the same thing as a cycle stop valve? The kit might be a good idea since the whole setup is that old (with the exception of the pressure tank I think)

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
For sure the pump is really old as well... I'm told 1966. Still works ok, just a bit loud. Did it essentially do the same thing as a cycle stop valve? The kit might be a good idea since the whole setup is that old (with the exception of the pressure tank I think)

Yes the Hydroservant that made your pump last 53 years is very similar to a Cycle Stop Valve. The main difference is the bypass rate. The CSV has a larger bypass allowing more cooling flow for the pump/motor than the old Hydroservant. Many people claim the amount of bypass in a CSV or the back pressure it creates will shorten the life of a pump. You just proved them all wrong! Even with the small bypass of the old Hydroservant there are many, many pumps that have lasted as long as yours. A Hydroservant stops a pump from cycling the same way a Cycle Stop Valve does. A Hydroservant causes the pump to work at an even lower flow rate that a CSV. This proves a pump/motor doesn't need much flow to stay cool and eliminating the cycling is what makes pumps last longer.

Cycle Stop Valves solved the few problems associated with the old Hydroservant like the very small bypass. Therefore a CSV will make pumps last longer that even the Hydroservant did. All pump companies know this! That is exactly why they stopped making the Hydroservant and the Aquagenie, which was another version of the same. If everyone had a Cycle Stop Valve and everyone's pumps last 50 years like yours, many pump companies would go out of business and they know it. That is why many pump companies will do or say anything to keep you from trying a Cycle Stop Valve. It is a sad world when companies stop making products because they work too well. Just think how much money, raw materials, energy, and waste could be saved if everyone had a CSV and everyone's pump lasted 50 years. :)

Most of the pumps that were installed with Cycle Stop Valve in 1993, which was when we started 27 years ago, are still working today and will be good for many more years.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks