Premature end of life for the Drake II

Users who are viewing this thread

Sevenfeet

Reaction score
I haven't been in these parts for a few years, but for those who might remember, I have a special needs boy (now 14) who over his life has taken his OCD to some interesting extremes, including the weird obsession of flushing foreign objects down the toilets. What began with his little Thomas the Tank Engine toys when he was about 4 years old then morphed to other things. That's when we decided to invest in Toto toilets to replace the aging builder toilets in our house (3 in all).

The first one was the guest bedroom toilet on our ground floor...since it's the only toilet on the main floor, it sees a lot of action. We decided to get a Ultramax II for this one, bought through a local dealer here in Nashville. The biggest issue we ever had with it was my son's toothbrush obsession he had (he always wants a plastic clutch object in his possession, usually bumpy or with buttons). So combined with his toilet flushing obsession, a toothbrush got wedged up in the Ultramax II which required the plumber taking the toilet off the floor, putting a scope in it and finally managing to push the offending toothbrush out.

The kid's bathroom toilet was an easy target for my son early on and finally it was stopped up for good with toys and since the kids were young, we didn't replace the unit for over a year before finally getting an Eco Drake. He tried to jam that once to no avail and that toilet has been good so far. By the way, one plumbing debacle we had was that he had disposed of so many small toys down the Totos that they got caught in the sewer system near the clean pipe outside the house....backing things up predictably (and horribly). The solution was to dig the pipe out of the ground and replace it. I still wince at writing that check.

The most recent Toto purchase was the master bathroom toilet, and while I was hoping to hold out for something really interesting in terms of style, we decided to get another Drake, this time a Drake II. The previous Kohler toilet (the best of the original toilets) had many scraped with foreign flushed objects but managed to survive until retirement. The Drake II had been great...until last Saturday.

While the rest of the family was downstairs playing Monopoly, my son had gotten ahold of my wife's wireless mouse from her Microsoft Surface and proceeded to see if it would flush in the Drake II. It got wedged in there and a snake I keep didn't help (it probably made the situation worse). Plumbers were called today and they couldn't get the thing released either due to the weird shape and semi flexible design of the mouse....it just wedged and wouldn't let go.

Finally they gave up and I called Supply.com to see if they could just sell me the Drake II bowl and not the entire unit. They said yes so hopefully the new piece will arrive in a couple of days on a short drive from north Georgia. So my son has cost me another several hundred dollars (parts and labor). I love him dearly but I really wish he's stop this. I thought he'd grown out of it....but I was clearly wrong. And we did destroy the Drake II bowl just to verify that it was indeed the missing mouse (it was) and nothing else was in there (it wasn't).

Also, the Toilet Gods must have clearly been angry at me since the fill valve for the Ultramax II chose to fail on the same weekend. Thanks to the posts from Terry and others, I went to Home Depot this morning, got a Korky replacement unit and had the toilet up and running again in less than an hour. Thanks guys.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I have been very satisfied with my Toto toilets, but, in a situation like yours, you might want to consider one of the Caroma toilets...they have a larger trapway all of the way through. While you can clog anything, it's harder to do that on a Caroma.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't think a larger trapway would be so good, if that was accompanied by a bigger exit from the bowl.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I have been very satisfied with my Toto toilets, but, in a situation like yours, you might want to consider one of the Caroma toilets...they have a larger trapway all of the way through. While you can clog anything, it's harder to do that on a Caroma.

Dude, He's already clogging the main sewer line with toys. The 3" trapway on the Caroma could make that even worse.
I have one customer in Seattle whose kid flushed forks down the toilet. He might have quit doing that finally, as it's been a while since I've heard from them. With a lot of that, I pull the bowl and use an auger from the low end and push it back out the way it came in.

auger_02.jpg

The auger I use is much larger than the one that the home centers sell.
It would have pushed the mouse out. I'm guessing your plumber had the standard 7/8" auger.
Those don't do much.

toilet_fork.jpg

Last edited:

Sevenfeet

Reaction score
Dude, He's already clogging the main sewer line with toys. The 3" trapway on the Caroma could make that even worse.
I have one customer in Seattle whose kid flushed forks down the toilet. He might have quit doing that finally, as it's been a while since I've heard from them. With a lot of that, I pull the bowl and use an auger from the low end and push it back out the way it came in.

auger_02.jpg

The auger I use is much larger than the one that the home centers sell.
It would have pushed the mouse out. I'm guessing your plumber had the standard 7/8" auger.
Those don't do much.

Perhaps. And yes, he did try to push the object out as you described, but the auger bit wasn't any bigger than the one I have and it actually got caught with the mouse and stuck for awhile before it was finally freed. I do think the odd shape of the object made it especially difficult.

71sa5Xc-EvL._SX522_.jpg

Themp

Reaction score
Did not make it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1969649295/iguard-toilet-strainer

What is needed is a toilet that acts like a disposal and chops up what is flushed. And if it cannot chop it, it jams. And is easy to clean to remove the jam. Or maybe like an airplane toilet works and a vacuum is used to suck the contents and the outlet pipe is small and thus large items cannot be dumped into the sewage line.

Sevenfeet

Reaction score
The Saniflo products don't strike me as something that is designed to deal with a plastic or wooden children's toy. It seems more designed to mince effluent for disposal in septic systems or places with strict limits as to what can be flushed down sewage systems. Terry? Is this a correct assessment?

Reach4

Reaction score
he Saniflo products don't strike me as something that is designed to deal with a plastic or wooden children's toy. It seems more designed to mince effluent for disposal in septic systems or places with strict limits as to what can be flushed down sewage systems.
A paper clip was designed to clip papers together. A screwdriver was designed to turn screws.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That system is designed to pulverize 'normal' things you might put down a toilet, and the outlet is smaller than that used on a typical toilet. So, while it won't chop up metal or plastic things, it won't pump them down the line to then clog the main pipe. How easy it is to unclog it, I don't know.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks