Can I make this work without moving anything?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Derektvann

Reaction score
hi guys, I'm new here and by no means a professional ... Trying to plum this new sink I have that sits lower then my old one....
Wondering if I can make this work (see picture) or if I will have to higher the sink OR lower the drain pipe?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 460

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You would gain some room by dumping the plastic sink drains for metal ones with a shallow strainer body, but the drain in the wall will still need to be lowered by the looks of that photo.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you are moving the sanitary tee down (the thing in the wall), you might consider whether you might want to also be able to add a garbage disposal at some time in the future.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You obviously CANNOT "higher" the sink, and depending on how the piping is installed in the wall, lowering the pipe could be a major remodeling job. Shallower drains and double traps might work.

Derektvann

Reaction score
You obviously CANNOT "higher" the sink, and depending on how the piping is installed in the wall, lowering the pipe could be a major remodeling job. Shallower drains and double traps might work.
Was thinking double traps myself

Derektvann

Reaction score
And yes I could hire the sink because right now it is under mounted

Reaction score
I would certainly continue to install this setup without altering the cabinet.

The main reason is that ABS is cheap and easy to glue for dollars, definitely try this first to see how it fares and then you will see if you need to gut the wall out to lower the drain inlet.

You're going to try to cut that black tailpiece as short as possible, double trap each one, then elbow your way to a tee to the drain in the wall.

The only problem I see, and only if it is a problem, is that the trapped water will be rather high, but it looks like those white parts is also part of the tailpiece too, and your stoppers go above them.

So I would certainly try to spend $15 and 30 minutes to try this setup before tearing out a whole lot of stuff that can open a lot more problems for a DIY.

Reach4

Reaction score
What is that coming out of the wall? Maybe you could fit a "double wye" and use the middle port as a cleanout. Then put trap adapters on the outer ports. This shows two traps, but does not match your situation:
DoubleSinkDrain.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks