Plumbing Waste Diagram Check

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Erik R. Quackenbush, Apr 29, 2021.

1. Jeff H Young

Jeff H Young In the Trades

in regard to offsetting the trap arm in way that Wayne shows . it kind of goes against the way we do things but I think it likely is permitted because water closets and similar fixtures don't need weir of trap below vent opening. pics Terry posts show trap arm on a 45 that doesn't fly on lavs , sinks, showers tubs, but on toilets its a go. I wouldn't feel too confident on an inspection but I cant see an argument that it cant be offset. last post by Wayne isn't a wet vent Just go ahead anyone and point out where a w/c would be illegal to help clarify

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    UPC training manual 1997

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Jeff H Young

not getting any help looking at those pics Terry . I've never offset my trap arm but looking at those pics don't clarify it . of course diagram " g" depicts an offset and vent is way low on those . I was looking for the code violation didn't find it probably didn't dig deep enough but that doesn't mean much I just haven't found it.

4. Erik R. Quackenbush

Erik R. Quackenbush New Member

Well, it occurred to me way too late in this process that as an architect I have fairly easy access to plumbing engineers. I contacted one yesterday, and after talking through the various designs, they sent me back the attached diagram they feel meets the VPC (IPC w/ state amendments). From that I modified my design to what you see below. I think this might be what I go with. All the fittings aren't quite complete yet but I think this layout works. It's a little more work in the closet ceiling than I'd prefer, but not worth worrying about.

Plumbing 11.JPG

Attached Files:

Tuttles Revenge likes this.
  5. Jeff H Young

that works its got an AAV on above w/c any way. why put another AAV at the lav ? just put a lav waste and tub directly on the vertical stack assuming that goes through roof and not a waste line for an above floor

6. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    The vent on the lav should handle it.

7. wwhitney

wwhitney Well-Known Member

For the record, the latest rendering and PDF diagram don't show an AAV at the WC. The rendering is of a wall hung WC and shows the wall tank plus the pipe from tank to bowl.

As an aside, looking at the picture of the internal trapway on a wall hung WC, and comparing it to the trapway on a floor discharge WC, it looks like the wall hung elbow in the wall would have to be pointed downward to match the trapway on a floor discharge WC, and to complete the self-siphoning S-trap. Is that correct, or can it be turned horizontal as was previously suggested in this thread?

Cheers, Wayne

8. Erik R. Quackenbush

Wayne, I talked with a manufacturer on the phone a few days back, and they said that their wall-hung toilets require that you have the trapway no shallower than 45° to get proper suction and flow.

On my last rendering, the yellow is an AAV, and the main 3" stack just terminates inside the cabinet. I extended it up into the cabinet so I can leave an inspection port there. The engineer was of the opinion that no vent or AAV was required on the WC at all.

9. Michael Young

Michael Young Active Member

what software are you using for your drawings?

10. Erik R. Quackenbush

I've been using Sketchup for all this. I have more powerful software that I use professionally, but it's a little more specific to architecture. I still prefer Sketchup for just figuring things out on the fly.