Plumber's Putty Oozing Around Kitchen Sink Strainer Body

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Brian Troiano, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Brian Troiano

Brian Troiano New Member

We just bought a gut renovated apartment. In the kitchen sink, I noticed last night that plumber's putty is starting to ooze out around the circular strainer body. We've been living in the place for a week and half now and I can't recall if it's always been there and I just didn't notice it before OR if it's a new thing in the last few days. That said, there isn't any leak below the sink.

Is the presence of this putty okay as long as it isn't leaking below? Is the oozing putty a normal thing? I've uploaded a photo of my sink here. Thanks for any advice anyone may have.

Attached Files:

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    Not centered and too much putty.
    You can slice off the excess putty with a flat blade and toss it. The putty will ooze for a bit, but I use less in the first place.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

You might see if the basket nut has loosened up as the putty got extruded.

Brian Troiano likes this.
  5. Brian Troiano

Brian Troiano New Member

Thanks very much, Terry. Slicing the excess off is exactly what I did this morning after I posted. I'm hoping a leak won't present itself eventually. So you're saying we may see more oozing putty until the excess putty that the installer used is gone? And yes on the piece not being centered. I can totally see that now.

6. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

I wonder if you could apply force to center the basket, and then tighten the nut.

Brian Troiano likes this.