Plastic Smell with softener

Users who are viewing this thread

MichaelSK

Reaction score
Many years ago, I had that same terrible solvent smell for almost two years after I built the system. I contacted Purolite and the company I purchased the components from. Purolite shipped me more SST 60 resin. I would like to know what the chemical was that we were drinking and breathing.

MichaelSK

Reaction score
BTW, I regenerate with KCl and add about 3/4 cup citric acid at each regeneration. The resin is about ten years old and going strong. (1.5 ft3 of SST60: Ca 61, Mg 23.5, hardness 249, Fe 0.5, Na 8, Cl 14, pH 7.40, EC 0.52, tot carbonates 5.6); 2-5 persons/2 baths. Occasionally clean it with peracetic acid. I regenerate with a nominal 5lbs KCl/ft3 based on usage (have to look at my spreadsheet) am using a Clack control head which I LIKE A LOT.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks