Pipe dope flare fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
The instructions with the flex gas connector states no sealant. Is this no sealant on the actual flare and the threads or just the flare?

The one I removed had dope on the threads of the flare fitting.

I have read no dope, dope on threads and dope on the actual flare. Was just curious the practices of the professionals.

Thanks.

Reaction score
It varies, but I don't use dope on flare fittings of flex connectors.
Thanks.

Do you not use use it on the actual flare but on the threads of the flare fitting? Or, you don't use it on both?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Thanks.

Do you not use use it on the actual flare but on the threads of the flare fitting? Or, you don't use it on both?

The only reason you would use anything on the threads is if it is in a high Vibration application.

You Never want to use it on the flare itself. There is no need too.

Normally if you have a leak, You cut it and re-flare it.

Good Luck.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Flare fittings don't require any sort of lubrication. If the joint leaks it is because the flare itself was not properly prepared. Using pipe joint dope on a gas flare fitting is particularly not good because the paste can get into the gas valve and ruin it.

Reactions: SHR

DougB

Reaction score
The instructions with the flex gas connector states no sealant. Is this no sealant on the actual flare and the threads or just the flare?

The one I removed had dope on the threads of the flare fitting.

I have read no dope, dope on threads and dope on the actual flare. Was just curious the practices of the professionals.

Thanks.

Flare fittings do not require any pipe dope or Teflon tape.

The fitting is sealed by the compression of the flared tubing (usually a soft material - like copper) and the fitting.

DonL

Reaction score
Flare fittings do not require any pipe dope or Teflon tape.

The fitting is sealed by the compression of the flared tubing (usually a soft material - like copper) and the fitting.

If you do need to use anything, You have a problem.

Double Flares should not be confused with single.

I think a lot of the Flex Gas lines have a Teflon like coating on the Flare, and it is for one time use, once you tighten, the Teflon will not seal properly if you remove it, and try to reuse it.

Have Fun, Be safe.

Asktom

Reaction score
Pipe dope is insurance, but not necessary. Don't use tefon tape, pieces can break off, blow down the line and cause problems. (Teflon = PTFE to purists)

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, Dupont (the owner of the Teflon trademark) does not make or supply PTFE for the tape...calling it Teflon tape implies it's that trademarked material, and it is not. Just like all tissues are not Kleenex, or all tape is called Scotch tape.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
No, pipe dope isn't insurance. It isn't needed. At all. In fact, it's anything but insurance. You don't want anything between that flare on the pipe and the receiving end of the fitting.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Using pipe joint dope on a gas flare fitting is particularly not good because the paste can get into the gas valve and ruin it.

1. You are assuming it is being "slathered" on, and into, the male fitting, which should not be the case for a careful tradesman.
2. You are also assuming the gas is flowing at high velocity through the pipe, carrying everything with it, which is also not a fact, or factor.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I assume nothing but there is no need ever to use dope on a flare. Teflon dopes have tiny little balls of Teflon in them that won't crush between the pipe and fitting and can cause a leak.

DonL

Reaction score
The Bottom line is, If the Manufacture says not to use it, Then don't use it.

At least the OP read the Instructions.

Pisses me off having to hunt for English.

Have Fun, Light a Fart just for Fun. The only safe way to play with gas.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks