Leaks in new flex gas line for water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Ballaw

Reaction score
Hi, I am installing a new water heater. Everything is good to go but when I turned on the gas I smelt a little gas. I used a leak detector fluid but didn't see any bubbles. I didn't try starting the pilot. The valve end the flex hose is attached to has a flare fitting (see picture). I didn't put pipe dope on it. Was this correct? On the other end I only applied pipe dope to some of the threads. I read that no dope is recommended but plumber's do it anyway. I used a gas detection device and it went off at both of the fittings even though there were no bubbles. Do you have any advice on what I am doing wrong or how to proceed? Thanks so much!

PXL_20220414_045923963.jpg
PXL_20220414_045926805.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
On the NPT connections, the pipe dope needs to be on the threads at the end, they are the ones that matter. The ones you have pipe dope on probably don't matter. And use a bit more dope.

As to the flare connections, no dope, just very wrench tight.

Cheers, Wayne

Ballaw

Reaction score
On the NPT connections, the pipe dope needs to be on the threads at the end, they are the ones that matter. The ones you have pipe dope on probably don't matter. And use a bit more dope.

As to the flare connections, no dope, just very wrench tight.

Cheers, Wayne
Thanks, Wayne. You were right about doping the end threads. It's curious because I read that you are not supposed to dope those at all in case dope gets in the ignitor.

As for the other end the issue was my gas line had a flare fitting already on it and I was attached the NPT end of the flare fitting adaptor that came with the gas line. All's good now and I have hot water!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Old flare fittings don't always fit with the new flex. And I always dope the threads on those.
The new flex should have come with flare fittings for both ends.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks