No water pressure submersible pump

Discussion in 'Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog. Water is life.' started by autojoe, Feb 6, 2021.

1. autojoe

autojoe New Member

My father passed away. I shut relay box off didn't want any chance for pump to run if leak house empty for year. Turn back on no water pressure. Pressure switch has safety arm I held in start position nothing. Ac meter have 125 volts on one side and when hold arm on pressure switch 250 volts on black wire to pump. Clamped inductive ammeter around black wire to pump and got 25 amps. No sound and no pressure on gauge. Well is 50 feet deep my dad told me before. The pipe goes through foundation and buried outside somewhere. 20 degrees outside. There is two fuses in relay box.... Shouldn't they have blown with 25 amps? Didn't look at rating. Someone said locked rotor. Would frozen or restricted pipe cause increase in current flow. I imagine small pump for 50 foot well. My well is 220 feet deep and I have a goulds 3/4 hp it draws 8 amps. I just sold house to nephew land contract and many kids and no water. I appreciate any help you can give me. Ty. Joe

2. LLigetfa

LLigetfa DIYer, not in the trades

Semi-Retired
    Is the wellhead buried? Time to pull the pump. If the line is frozen, the pump would deadhead and not draw that many amps so a locked rotor is a more plausible theory.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. autojoe

autojoe New Member

Yes buried. Ty. Worked before I shut off a year ago. Can I get a good pump brand from Lowes or home depot? How big for 50 feet. 1/3 hp?

5. autojoe

autojoe New Member

25 amps... Why didn't fuse blow?

6. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Maybe if you could find one or afford one. However you would usually opt for the 1/2 hp 10 gpm.

Your well seal may be in a pit, but may be just buried.

Well seals don't seal usually. To do it right, a well in Michigan should have the casing extended above ground, and a pitless adapter installed. The water line should be below the frost line. Yes, this is not a cheap upgrade. And it's not your responsibility. I expect you took imperfections into account when you priced the house.

7. valveman

valveman Cary Austin Staff Member

Pump Controls Technician
    Reading between both pressure switch contacts that go to the pump, you should get 240V or so. Do you have a control box on the wires before they go down the well?