No Tip

Users who are viewing this thread

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
There are really only 3 options in a case where you work on the stove and find no tip clips.

Say nothing because it was an existing condition and you feel your not responsible for a bad installation, don't have the clips, and you don't tell the customer who probably doesn't know either. Ignorance is bliss they say.

Mam after working on your stove I noticed there are no tip clips...they prevent the stove from tipping over under certain circumstances like this(show stove tipping) and can prevent possible injury and/ or death from scalding, burns, or the weight of the stove its self.....would you like me to install these clips that would prevent the stove from tipping over. It is only $$$$$ parts and labor.

No I don't think so.

Are you sure...... this could cause serious injury and or death to a child or adult should this happen.

No thank you.

Well in that case I will have to have you sign this Hold Harmless statement prepared by my lawyer.......(she signs) and I will have to leave with the gas valve in the off position so I can't be held liable should something happen today or any time after I leave. If you wish to turn it on after I leave the liability will be on you.

Mam I noticed that your stove had been installed incorrectly and was missing tip clips that prevent it from tipping in certain circumstances (explain in detail) ....I have installed the necessary clips that were missing... that will be an additional $$$$.
If the customer complains and says she didn't agree to pay and won't then just say O.K. and take it off the invoice.... that way it is done and your not liable...in most cases you will get paid... maybe a few you won't but the stoves are safe and you bear no liability for you touching a stove and leaving it in an unsafe condition.......which is what a lawyer would charge / say if it ended up in court. Remember you, in court, would be the licenced professional that should have known better.

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Thanks for responses

I think I'm going to just ditch the calls to avoid confrontation with the customer. It's going to look like upselling under the lines of safety, they'll weasel out saying there's no kids in the house, and then I look like I'm after the dollar. The function of that device though is top notch.

Stuff that goes outside of my regular routine I do not like to do because I'm not efficient at it.

It's like a customer calling me to replace a vanity cabinet/faucet/top. I get there, and it's one of those DIY vanity cabinets that you have to assemble yourself because they have only a car to haul it back to the house and was the cheapest money could buy. :confused: :confused: Of course I'm making money.....but any of you plumbers that set a schedule to nail down 5-10 service calls a day, showing up and that nonsense is there, you're screwing up your schedule because someone doesn't understand that the side of the truck in the driveway says "PLUMBING" not "VANITY CABINET BUILDER"

Same goes for shower doors, 3 piece shower wall enclosures, those cheap free-standing showers under $79, cutting holes in formica tops for new sinks. NOT my job; I'm the pipe and fittings guy. Last week a customer was trying to get me to recut and install new ceiling tiles in the celing. NOT!! :eek: :D

Last edited:

Pewterpower

Reaction score
Cass, I think you are just TERGIVERSATING.

Just kidding.......I merely wanted to use that word in a sentence. :D

I prefer #3. Those clips (btw, you only need to secure one leg) are pretty universal. I also imagine that a "contractors pack" of 10 couldn't possibly cost all that much. This also brings Grumpy's point full circle.... a clearer conscience of knowing that you did the right thing. Isn't that what seperates a good businessman fron a great businessman?

Cookie

Reaction score
I never heard of it beforehand, but, I already made some calls to friends with little kids and boy, were they interested Grumpy. They checked while I was on the phone and came back within minutes and I guess, you might already know the answer. Even the husbands were getting involved in this and thought the idea of the tip clip a great thing. Now, they will call their friends and relatives.

Thanks for the tip on the clip but, I would pay you Grumpy if it weren't included in the price.:) I really don't think many homeowners would have a problem shelling out 10 or 20 bucks for this. How long does it take to install one, just wondering.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Cookie said:
I never heard of it beforehand, but, I already made some calls to friends with little kids and boy, were they interested Grumpy. They checked while I was on the phone and came back within minutes and I guess, you might already know the answer. Even the husbands were getting involved in this and thought the idea of the tip clip a great thing. Now, they will call their friends and relatives.

Thanks for the tip on the clip but, I would pay you Grumpy if it weren't included in the price.:) I really don't think many homeowners would have a problem shelling out 10 or 20 bucks for this. How long does it take to install one, just wondering.

First, you don't have to be a plumber to install one (yup...I really did just say that).
You can get them at a hardware store or HD/Lowes.
All you need is a nut driver (usually 5/16") or screwdriver and a tape measure...this is one that I STRONGLY recommend for DIY'ers.
Sad fact is I almost never see them on the old stoves I replace.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks