No cold water to entire bathroom after new shower faucet install

Users who are viewing this thread

Zash

Reaction score
I had a smaller company re-tile and change the faucet in my shower including a new valve.

They tiled the shower and got everything put in, but there is no cold water for the shower and now the double vanity has no cold water flow to either faucet.

They can't figure out why and are now MIA. Is there anything basic I should check/try? I'm looking for a reputable plumber to help with the eventual solve, but in the mean time I'm hoping to get some opinions on what they should be looking for. Ideally I don't want to tear out the tile that was just put in, but that would be the last resort (hopefully).

No plumbing was changed/moved other than the valve replacement which is the odd part, and I'm not sure how that would impact the vanity sinks.

Thanks in advance.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
If there is no water to just a shower then it could be the integral stop in a shower valve

If you have no CW only there maybe a tile stop (isolation valve) that someone forgot to open

Zash

Reaction score
Here are a couple pictures. I was able to find one with the wall opened up.

There is another shower faucet up the line that works correctly and hot water works for all faucets.

Open wall:

Screenshot_20210331-123101_Gallery.jpg

Whole shower, faucet on left controls shower head on right. Both cold and hot work as expected. Valve next to the window and two vanity faucets have only hot water.

20210331_132356.jpg

New valve, best pic I have without tearing into the wall:

20210331_132225.jpg

I expect there will be some demo required to figure this out, but hoping to help figure out the most likely place to start to minimize the damage.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sometimes, they will put a shutoff for a bathroom somewhere. Makes it easier to service things rather than shutting the whole house down. Is there a toilet in the bathroom? Does it refill after a flush?

If it were only in the shower, that could narrow it down, but affecting the sink, too, makes it a bit more complex.

FOr the sink, if you shut its cold water supply off, remove the hose from it, and then turn it back on, does that get any water? (you'd want to direct it into a bucket).

I'm assuming you're getting hot water out of the shower. Unless that valve is broken, or it isn't a code compliant one, that means it is seeing cold water pressure otherwise, the spool valve would shut the hot water off on its own. If the hot only dribbles out, then the spool valve design isn't optimal, but still reducing the hot to help prevent scalding, which is required by code in the USA.

If they used tape on the threaded joints, if they were sloppy with it, that can cause a stoppage, but it looks like the shower valve was soldered, not threaded, but can't be positive.

Last edited:

Zash

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips.

I removed the cold water supply hose from both vanity sinks and opened both valves with no water coming out of either one.

There is no toilet directly in the room, but in a water closet and flushes and fills fine.

Hot water pressure is good to the shower.

The shower valve is threaded I believe. Would that impact the sinks if the blockage was right at the valve?

Screenshot_20210331-153034_Gallery.jpg

The crew asked where the main water shut off was so I believe that is what they used, but obviously something is off otherwise everything would be working. At this point I'm just curious what the heck is going on.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
can you blow air through the lav supply cold? maybe cold never got tied together? the fact your plumber is MIA as you put it says something why would he disappear ? disgruntled? no easy answer if no water at all comes out cold side review all your photos maybe its never tied in in attic heck could be anything

Zash

Reaction score
Update: I got him out here today. There was another big job he was working, but failed to communicate anything.

He took out the cartridge and replaced and now I have cold water to both shower heads, but still nothing to the vanity sinks.

He's coming back out Saturday to take another look at the sinks.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are 2 ways that you have water not coming out of only the cold side of only some fixtures. Either there is an isolation valve somewhere that was left off, or there is something clogging the pipe/angle stop/faucet/aerator...

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I still think there is a good chance there is no water in the pipe , not connected to anything. of cource thats what its all about wild guesses based on little info and no way to verify .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks