New Tank & Pump but still short cycling???

Users who are viewing this thread

Michael Minney

Reaction score
My Flotec 30 gallon tank's bladder went and the tank was rusty so I purchased a Wellmate Pentair WM-9, 30 gallon fiberglass tank. I decided to purchase a new pump as well, seeing my pump was used 11 years ago when I moved into the house. I bought a 1hp Eco-Flo EFCWJ10.

I replaced the tank first and the old pump started to short cycle very fast, (it had never done that before). I noticed I had a few very minor leaks so I took everything apart and re-taped and Doped everything again. The pump still short cycled.

The next day I replaced the old Flotech pump with the new Eco-Flo pump. The new pump is still short cycling every second just like the last one did. I noticed a very small leak (one drip every minute or so) near the new check valve I installed. I did not have a check valve before.

I know it must be something to do with the tank installation because my old pump never short cycled until I put it in. The old pump would turn on any time we would turn on a water source and would come on intermittently every couple of hours for ten seconds because the tank was waterlogged.

It seems like it would be something simple. I have included pics of the old tank set-up and the new set-up. Please Help!!!

Attachments

• 20200131_130902.jpg
    20200131_130902.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 268
  • 20200131_131231.jpg
    20200131_131231.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 239
  • 20200203_164814.jpg
    20200203_164814.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 283
  • 20200203_164835.jpg
    20200203_164835.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 257
  • 20200203_164845.jpg
    20200203_164845.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 261

Reach4

Reaction score
Deep well jet pump.

When you turn off the power, what happens to the pressure gauge indication? Does it go to zero, or does the pressure hold.

Normally you don't want a valve separating the pressure tank and pressure switch. Usually you have a valve for the path to the house.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
That looks like a check valve at the end of the pump hose before going to the pressure tank. When the water shuts off the valve closes and the short little length of hose to the pump, the pressure drops fast since there is nothing to hold pressure, therefore, the pump immediately cycles back on. Remove the check valve. Place the check valve between the well and pump.

The picture show only about 10 lbs at the pump and 50 at the tank.

Reach4

Reaction score
Good points.

Remove check valve, and while you are changing things, move the new valve to the other side if there is no valve to the house.

Alternative: Even better would be to move the pressure switch to the pressure tank. You could use that plugged port on the tank tee that is right above the drain valve.

Best: remove the check valve and move the pressure switch both.

Michael Minney

Reaction score
I actually thought that may be the issue, but the people at Lowe's told me to put it on, and the kit I purchased with the T, included the check valve with it. I will take it off tomorrow and see if that works. I am sure it will.

Also, included with the kit was a pressure switch for the T, but I already had one included on the new pump, so I figured I would not put one on the T, because that would be redundant and the BX wire didn't reach the floor, so this was a better fix for me.

Thank you both so much for your help.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
It'll probably be easier to move the pressure switch to the tank side of the check valve.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is it me, or is everyone else curious about what the people at Lowes told the op about his problem?

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Is it me, or is everyone else curious about what the people at Lowes told the op about his problem?
I worked at Sears for 11 years part time and usually it a misinterpretation. The customer explains his problem wrong, the customer misinterpreted the suggestion, or the employee has no clue; sometimes it is the customer.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
We have a good time here in our office with this stuff. With several of us explaining pump systems on the phones and computers all day, we hear some of the funniest things. I have heard pressure switches called dozens of different names. We listen to the symptoms carefully because it is the little things that clue us in. How they describe the clicking and buzzing, slapping and banging, wobbling and hissing, is usually all we have to go with. Most people don't even know they have one or know what a pressure switch is. To many there is just a pipe coming up out of the ground somewhere and water just normally flows to the house. I love that people can now get answers at the touch of a keyboard. Knowledge is power, even if it is just your water pump system.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
We have a good time here in our office with this stuff. With several of us explaining pump systems on the phones and computers all day, we hear some of the funniest things. I have heard pressure switches called dozens of different names. We listen to the symptoms carefully because it is the little things that clue us in. How they describe the clicking and buzzing, slapping and banging, wobbling and hissing, is usually all we have to go with. Most people don't even know they have one or know what a pressure switch is. To many there is just a pipe coming up out of the ground somewhere and water just normally flows to the house. I love that people can now get answers at the touch of a keyboard. Knowledge is power, even if it is just your water pump system.

I worked a lot of years as a field engineer on the phone troubleshooting telephone problems. I was working with so called trained techs were not, and I learned how not to ask leading questions. Do not ask do you have 24v’s, ask what voltage do you have?

Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
The absolute worst is when a potential customer calls to pick your brain and then either fixes it himself or shops for the cheapest guy. There are times I want to get their CC number and bill him for my time on the phone, just like a lawyer does.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The absolute worst is when a potential customer calls to pick your brain and then either fixes it himself or shops for the cheapest guy. There are times I want to get their CC number and bill him for my time on the phone, just like a lawyer does.

I know right? Even worse is when another pump man beats me out on a special contract job I have had for years. Then calls and ask me how to make a splice in hot water, salt water, or petroleum, which is why it was a special contract. Took me years to figure how to do splices on those kind of special applications. :mad:

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score

You need to learn how to answer politely and not give out very little information. I once had some call me at Sears and wanted to know why her garage door would not open? When I replied that it could be about a dozen different things, she lambasted me and hung up. Same as when someone may ask you why my pump is not working? Just answer it could be many things and I can't tell until I look at it and leave it there. Then tell the customer your diagnostic rate and when you can be there. :eek:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm always polite to customers & prospective customers. The ONLY people I'm not polite to are those who cal about extended car warranties, solar programs, health ins, credit card rates, home security... Did I miss any? LOL

Michael Minney

Reaction score
So I took the check valve off the next day and the pump works perfectly. I ended up taking off the shut off ball valve and the pressure gauge as well. It took me 10 minutes to fix it. No leaks, quiet motor and hopefully a system that works for the next 20 years....

20200203_164835.jpg 20200207_100034.jpg 20200207_100111.jpg

Again, thank you all for the good advice, I truly appreciate everyone's help.

Best regards, Mike.

Reach4

Reaction score
Nicely done.

The extra gauge was good, if you want to put that back. I would have expected it to be more steady, but it would also serve as a check on the other gauge.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks