New Shallow well pump not building up pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

kansasboy85

Reaction score
I just replaced the shallow well pump with same Horse Power as the old one.
For some reason the new pump is not able to build pressure over 10psi. It primes good. I've closed the valve to the irrigation system to isolate a possible line break issue but pressure does not go over 10psi and pumps runs non stop. When I open the water spout it releases water with no issues.
I'm just baffled to know that the new pump is not building 40psi like the old one. The pressure tank is set to 38psi and holds air good. The pump runs non stop but does not build more than 10psi.

I don't think it is a bad foot valve because it primes ok and releases water when i open the water hose.
However when I turn off the pump, while water valve to the irrigation lines is close to isolate water line issue, the pressure goes to zero very quick.

Please help me understand this. I've done/checked everything I can think of.

Thank you in advance

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
However when I turn off the pump, while water valve to the irrigation lines is close to isolate water line issue, the pressure goes to zero very quick.
That suggests there is a leak somewhere after the pump. Is there not a valve after the pressure tank to isolate everything and not just the irrigation system?

kansasboy85

Reaction score
That suggests there is a leak somewhere after the pump. Is there not a valve after the pressure tank to isolate everything and not just the irrigation system?
Yes. The valve that shuts off water to irrigation system is after the tank which is mounted on the pump. The pressure gage also mounts on pump casting.

kansasboy85

Reaction score
Try running a wire thru the jet to clear out debris.

Also, not all jet pumps with a given HP perform the same. But 10 psi seems very drastic.
With this being a new pump I wouldn't think that debris would build up fast on the jet.
However, the new pump has the pressure switch mounted on the back of oymp, connected via a plastic hose vs the old one was mounted and connected directly to the steel casting. I wonder if the plastic hose would make a difference?

Reach4

Reaction score
With this being a new pump I wouldn't think that debris would build up fast on the jet.
However, the new pump has the pressure switch mounted on the back of oymp, connected via a plastic hose vs the old one was mounted and connected directly to the steel casting. I wonder if the plastic hose would make a difference?
Should not. With practically zero flow in the tube, even a small ID tube has practically no pressure drop.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
When a new pump is installed it can disturb debris due to an inrush to fill empty lines and tank so one should never rule it out just cuz it is new.

How close to the tank is the shutoff valve and is all of the piping between tank and valve visible to rule out a leak?

kansasboy85

Reaction score
When a new pump is installed it can disturb debris due to an inrush to fill empty lines and tank so one should never rule it out just cuz it is new.

How close to the tank is the shutoff valve and is all of the piping between tank and valve visible to rule out a leak?
Ok, I'll check for debris. The tank is about 3 feet from the shut off valve. Yes the piping between the tank and shut off valve is visible with no leaks. In fact, I installed a pvc shut off valve last Sunday so that I can rule out the irrigation piping from the pump outlet. The only other thing I can think of, is the foot valve but the pump holds good prime. I can go and open the water hose with no issues and water comes out. It is just a weak 10psi stream.
I wanted to take a look at the foot valve but it is buried who knows how deep. I can only see the PVC pipe coming out of the ground.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks