New Construction Low Delta Shower Head and Tub Water Pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

Buffalo2

Reaction score
I have a newly constructed home. I have Delta shower heads and faucets. The water pressure in the shower heads and tub faucet are low. I am more concerned about increasing the flow in the shower head. Is there some kind of adjustable restrictor valve in the wall and or is this some kind of plumbing code?

Reach4

Reaction score
Get a 5 gallon bucket. Time how long it takes to fill the bucket with just cold. Then time how long it takes with 1/2 cold and 1/2 hot.

If it take about the same, the cause would be a restriction that is probably intentional.

Edit: I am talking about the tub faucet for the test.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can try looking at the flow restrictor on the shower head. I sometimes take a small drill bit and make the hole just a little bigger. Or just change out the head.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
For probably more than 20-years now, there has been a maximum flow rate for many water fixtures in a home...on a showerhead, it's 2.5gpm maximum at some pressure (I think at 60psi). If your supply water pressure is lower than that, you may not get as high a volume. But, just like if you try to run splitters, and lots of sprinklers outside off of one hose...when you don't have enough volume available, with all of those outlets, you do not get the acceleration you'd get if the supply isn't larger than the outlets allow...think, putting your finger over the end of a hose...the volume available is the same, but because of the restriction, it sprays further (Bernoulli principle). The design of the showerhead has a huge impact on how the outlet 'feels'. Until you measure the actual flow, you won't know if it's a volume issue or a design issue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks