New Construction Help

Users who are viewing this thread

Kenny Mapes

Reaction score
Can someone please point me in the right direction with my new construction project.
I consider myself an advanced DIY but never designed an DWV system from the ground up
The Master bath
bath 2.JPG
bath 3.JPG

Do I have enough venting?
The developed length of the lav arm is too long for 1.5" so I increased it to 2" is this correct?
Can the vertical stack that handles the washer and bathroom sink (4 DFU) be a vent if it is 2" ?
Is it better to use a 45 and a 22.5 or one 60 degree bend for the toilet?
Are cleanouts required and where? This is slab on grade.
g bath.JPG

The guest bath is much simpler
Anything stand out as wrong?
I don't know if the kitchen sink and dishwasher are 2 or 4 DFU florida code below
709.JPG

Kenny Mapes

Reaction score
You have several issues. Horizontal dry vents. Sharing wet vent outside bathroom group.
Helpful Plumbing Hints for Residential Construction by Bert Polk Plumbing Inspector Lincoln County

I know it doesn't look it but the vent from the bathtub and shower slope 1/4" per foot up to the vent that goes out the roof . Minimum 12" above the overflow of the highest attached fixture.
Is that not correct?
Are you referring to the sharing of the bathroom wet vents with the kitchen sink and clothes washer?
m bath iso.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Stuff

Reaction score
If a pipe has less than 45º of slope it is considered horizontal. Dry vent (water doesn't normally flow through them) needs to be 6" above flood level of fixture before it goes horizontal. That keeps water and gunk out of it when drain clogs/backs up.
Yes, sharing wet vents with kitchen sink and/or clothes washer is not normally allowed.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Bathroom groups only.
The washer should come in downstream of all of that and be vented on it's own.
The toilet can be wet vented by a lav, not a washer.
The shower or tub can be wet vented by a lav too, assuming the wet vented portions are at least 2".

Kenny Mapes

Reaction score
Bathroom groups only.
The washer should come in downstream of all of that and be vented on it's own.
The toilet can be wet vented by a lav, not a washer.
The shower or tub can be wet vented by a lav too, assuming the wet vented portions are at least 2".

I reworked it can the washer come into it like this? or is it required to be completely outside the bathroom group?
The trap arm on the bathtub is less than (<) 5' and the shower is more than (>) 4"
Toilet arm < 6'
I just learned 2 - 2" vents were not enough to vent this by area. So I went with a 3"
m bath new 1.JPG
m bath new 2.JPG

Stuff

Reaction score
In the last drawing the washer is still providing a wet vent for the toilet.
Bathtub vent has horizontal section below flood level. Some say OK but still not compliant.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Why won't you consider bringing in the washer downstream of the bathroom group? It's what the plumbing inspector will want.

The shower arm can be up to five feet long. You should be able to wet vent that with a lav and keep it vertical on the venting.

cat-orange-1.jpg

Just sitting here wondering.

Last edited:

Kenny Mapes

Reaction score
I brought the washer and kitchen sink in downstream of the bathroom groups and got rid of the below flood line horizontal vent
Master Bath
m bath new 1.1.JPG

Master Angle 2 to better show washer routing
m bath new 2.1.JPG

Guest Bath
g bath 1.1.JPG

Wet vent on left for bathroom kitchen vent on right
If I use low flow toilets is it better to use 1/8" slope on the 3" pipe? or standard 1/4"?
Do I need clean outs?
And in response to the inquisitive cat Homer came to mind
882f28ddfc0b8d27262b48ccba228ff4.jpg

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why won't you consider bringing in the washer downstream of the bathroom group? It's what the plumbing inspector will want.

The shower arm can be up to five feet long. You should be able to wet vent that with a lav and keep it vertical on the venting.

cat-orange-1.jpg

Just sitting here wondering.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I like 1/4" per foot grade. Anything less and you need an okay from the inspector.
It looks like you're good to go now. Even the cat likes it. :)

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Funny cat insert. Almost peed in my pants. We have 5 cats. Yeah, the washer is a whole new deal, nowdays. You might want to ask yourself if you want to see soap bubbles boiling out from between your legs while you're perusing the Sears catalog on the throne.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks