Need to Replace a leaking water hose Bibb. Is this soldered on or threaded?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by LeoDD, Jul 25, 2021.

1. LeoDD

LeoDD New Member

I have a leaking water hose bib that is about 24 years old. Is it soldered on or can I remove it with wrenches?

C3A87D72-44C8-44EA-BF3A-D986D62E473E.jpeg

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    You would heat that up with a torch, and then wipe the excess solder off the copper pipe when the hosebib is removed.
    Or if there is room to the wall, perhaps a new compression fitting that snugs up without soldering.

Using a torch, you should have a spray bottle handy and a wet rag or towel.

[​IMG]

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

You will want to get all of the water out of the pipe and valve before applying the torch.

5. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida The wife is still training me.

Retired
    I've replaced a few with the same issue, too much pipe sticking out. The copper pipe at the soldered joint may have cracked slightly because of the stress using the spigot. The rusted out handle indicates that it probably was a bit hard to turn. I would cut the pipe back to about an inch or so from the wall (using a pipe cutter) and solder on a female threaded coupler. Get a similar spigot so you can thread one on. Use a little tape. Should the new spigot ever fail again in the future, spin it off and replace it with a new one. if you go with this approach, spin on th enew spigot until snug. Over tightening it you can split the coupler.
    upload_2021-7-27_12-8-49.png

Reach4 likes this.
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    In Houston, you probably don't have to worry about freezing, but if you wanted to use a frost-free silcock, you'd have to cut it way back inside the house to then install one.

It looks like you have enough length to just cut the old one off and insert a threaded coupling, then screw a new valve one. You might want to get a heat shield to prevent scorching the stucco.