Need to Replace a leaking water hose Bibb. Is this soldered on or threaded?

Users who are viewing this thread

LeoDD

Reaction score
I have a leaking water hose bib that is about 24 years old. Is it soldered on or can I remove it with wrenches?

C3A87D72-44C8-44EA-BF3A-D986D62E473E.jpeg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You would heat that up with a torch, and then wipe the excess solder off the copper pipe when the hosebib is removed.
Or if there is room to the wall, perhaps a new compression fitting that snugs up without soldering.

Using a torch, you should have a spray bottle handy and a wet rag or towel.

soldering_kit.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
You will want to get all of the water out of the pipe and valve before applying the torch.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I've replaced a few with the same issue, too much pipe sticking out. The copper pipe at the soldered joint may have cracked slightly because of the stress using the spigot. The rusted out handle indicates that it probably was a bit hard to turn. I would cut the pipe back to about an inch or so from the wall (using a pipe cutter) and solder on a female threaded coupler. Get a similar spigot so you can thread one on. Use a little tape. Should the new spigot ever fail again in the future, spin it off and replace it with a new one. if you go with this approach, spin on th enew spigot until snug. Over tightening it you can split the coupler.
upload_2021-7-27_12-8-49.png

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In Houston, you probably don't have to worry about freezing, but if you wanted to use a frost-free silcock, you'd have to cut it way back inside the house to then install one.

It looks like you have enough length to just cut the old one off and insert a threaded coupling, then screw a new valve one. You might want to get a heat shield to prevent scorching the stucco.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks