Need advice on replacing shut off valve

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Kevin John, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Kevin John

Kevin John New Member

IMG_3778.JPG

Need advice on replacing shut off valve. The issue I am having is it's not a straight pipe where I can cut off the old sweat valve with any slack left to install a new one. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. My dilemma is shown in the picture. Thank you in advance for any help/advice that anyone can give me.

2. Jsmallberries

Jsmallberries Member

My unprofessional advice assuming it's copper, heat the pipe enough to sweat off the elbow. after it cools, clean up pipe, add new fittings.

Kevin John likes this.
  3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

Kevin John likes this.
  4. asktom

asktom Member

You may be able to buy another Eastman valve and just swap out the guts.

Kevin John likes this.
  5. MASTERPLUMB777

MASTERPLUMB777 In the Trades

Retired Master Plumber
    It is a threaded on valve just get one for Iron Pipe

Kevin John likes this.
  6. Kevin John

Kevin John New Member

So you're saying it's just a matter of getting through the paint and unscrewing the old valve? I should've scratched the surface of the paint and then seen that it was iron or copper. Not a professional here just trying to help out a little old lady. I've installed compression valves before but this one baffled me, I know it's an old valve and I didn't want to delve into it without some advice and be stuck in a worse position then a little drip. Maybe swapping out the guts is an answer as well I am not sure? Probably better off just unscrewing it with a pipe wrench and hoping for the best. LOL Thank you again for your advice. It really means a lot to me!

7. Kevin John

Kevin John New Member

This would seem like a simpler solution if the guts of that easily removable. I'm not a professional just trying to help out a sweet lil old lady in need.

8. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    From the picture it may be a soldered on valve to copper. Scrapping some paint will tell more. If it's threaded, it would have an eight sided part behind. With the paint, it's hard to tell.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    Kevin John likes this.
  9. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

img_4.jpg

Kevin John likes this.
  10. Kevin John

Kevin John New Member

As soon as I can get in there I will definitely figure it out. I should have removed all of that paint before posting. My bad. I live and I learn. Thank you so much.

11. Kevin John

Kevin John New Member

Looks like a sweat valve. Flux and map gas I assume would be what I need after removing the paint.

12. Treeman

Treeman Member

13. Kevin John

Kevin John New Member

Yeah unfortunately I think it's a sweat valve so paint removal, map gas and flux as well as solder for the next valve. Unless compression valves can go on steel pipes. And I'm sure they can, it's amazing the products that are out there these days. But I would rather stick with the ones I know work then some new Fango dango product LOL. Thank you for all of your help.

14. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    It sure looks like a threaded valve to me, but can't be 100% from the provided picture. IF it is, you'll want to use two wrenches...one on what appears to be the pipe fitting to keep from twisting the pipe, and a second one to remove the valve.

If you can look between the valve and the elbow and see threads, you'll know. It does appear that the fitting has flats on it to allow a wrench, and those wouldn't be there if it were a soldered on valve.

15. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    NOT THREADED. It is a sweat valve connected to a street 90.

16. fullysprinklered

fullysprinklered In the Trades

self-employed plumber-electrician doing residentia
    For God's sake, swap the guts! Cheap, quick, and easy.

If you're an atheist, do it anyway and stop the madness.

Kevin John likes this.