Moen 2 handle faucet removal problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark Ezrin

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a 2 handle Moen faucet in our bathroom.

Moen has sent me the cartridges to replace the current ones. Unfortunately, the handles are stuck and no matter what I try via Moen, they will not give. I've put vinegar around them with no luck. Maybe I'm not putting vinegar in the right spots. Moen said the base is probably stuck from minerals building up. The faucet is 19 years old. I've tried with soft touch pliers, wrapping a belt around it and then trying to grab it with pliers, etc. It won't move. Any suggestions besides dynamite or a hammer? Thanks.

https://solutions.moen.com/Article_Library/Two_Handle_4"_Mini_Wide_Spread:_Threaded_Hub

moen-monticello-handle-removal-7.jpg

I can also upload the install pdf Moen sent but it is 4.4 MB.

As always, thanks for your assistance.

Attachments

• 20201114_122642.jpg
    20201114_122642.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 736
  • 20201114_122656.jpg
    20201114_122656.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 758

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
If you do replace the entire faucet, you still need to remove the handles. As the instructions read, hold the handle and turn part #2, the hub counterclockwise. If you can't do it by hand use channel lock with a few wraps of a towel around the hub to prevent scratches but that is usually causes scratches anyway.

Google search, "mini strap wrench" and use it to wrap around the hub. Usually you won't find these in stores except only large ones. HD has a Husky 8" but it is too large.

Mark Ezrin

Reaction score
Lowe's was out so I got a strap wrench 2 pack from Boston Freight for $5. Not the best quality tool but ... Who knew this was the simplist answer? Well, you did! Great recommendation. Not one friend owned one and they're all in awe of an easy tool that none of us had or are familiar with. OMG, so many times in the past I've struggled with something and this would have saved so much frustration with a typical wrench or pliers.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

If you do replace the entire faucet, you still need to remove the handles. As the instructions read, hold the handle and turn part #2, the hub counterclockwise. If you can't do it by hand use channel lock with a few wraps of a towel around the hub to prevent scratches but that is usually causes scratches anyway.

Google search, "mini strap wrench" and use it to wrap around the hub. Usually you won't find these in stores except only large ones. HD has a Husky 8" but it is too large.

20201120_201744.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks