Main Vent DWV relocation

Users who are viewing this thread

DragonSamsung

Reaction score
So I have a few ideas running in my head. ATM the only thing in my house with a vent is the toilet. So I have a lot of work to do. I have read a few books and stuff online. My horizontal pipes will be sloped etc. My issue is with the flood line and horizontal run. I would be using at or less than 4 90 degree bends, and it would be a 4" vent.

ATM the 4" main cast iron vent is running up from the basement 2' from the bath room wall and right next to the toilet.

The goal is to Not have the main vent in the small bath room, and out the side wall not the roof.

My only issue is with the flood line level.

Look at the photo:

#1 is what I have now.

#2 and #3 are two ways i was thinking of running this out the wall ( would like to do one of these for now until i redo all the plumbing, less wall tare outs.)

#4 and #5 seem to be the way to go tho, as I could tie in all other vent in the utility room ( when i add them during the remodel that is over a year off).

I would love to do #4 thought the wall then up past the roof, but I think I may be stuck doing #5

note that # 5 would be above the flood line, but still in the bath room. :(

Looking for input, thanks for your time.

edit: I assume the dual band clamp you can use for the dwv drain pipe would seal as good for the vent / gas pipe?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/4-in-x-4-in-PVC-DWV-Mechanical-Flexible-Coupling-P1056-44/100372298

Last edited:

Stuff

Reaction score
From your description only 1 and 5 are legal. Long term you would be better off getting this in an adjacent wall. Your whole DWV system should be designed together; otherwise you end up redoing things.

Verify the current cast iron pipe is actually 4" ID. Then if it is SV or XH as they can require different sized couplings.

That coupling does not provide enough physical support. You need something with a metal band like http://www.homedepot.com/p/4-in-EPDM-Rubber-Shielded-Coupling-P3000-44/100372288

Lastly: Be careful as lots of serious injuries have occurred with removing CI pipe as it weighs hundreds of pounds.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
How is it that the only thing you are venting is the toilet?
Every sink, every lav, every washer, every tub, every shower needs a trap that is vented to prevent siphoning.

DragonSamsung

Reaction score
ATM I am working in the bathroom and this house is a nightmare. There just is no vents for the other items atm. In the bath room the floor was bad, the roof, etc. Once i go from caste to pvc I will be venting the washer, kitchen sink, bath, and bathroom sink when i get it put in. It will just take time as I will have to tare out plaster and replace with drywall.

I had thought of mechanical vents for the small items as it would be cheaper then a remodel, but i know they fail. I may just get the cheap ones until i get the funds to tear out the walls. (at least then I could move in quicker, with out having to remodel walls.)

I am not living there atm it a work in progress.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks