Low profile toilet flange?

Users who are viewing this thread

John King

Reaction score
We are in the middle of a bathroom reno and are looking to maximize the small space. The toilet plumbing now appears to be a 14" original rough-in with a 2" offset. It appears they had also cut down the flange itself to reduce the overall height, however there is still a slight uphill slope over the 5' span to the stack. We have never really had problems, but I am looking for a more proper fix.

I realize I could just go with a 14" rough in toilet (removing the offset to address the improper slope), however I'd rather not buy a new toilet, and the increased depth would eat into the bathroom space, which is already pretty small. I was searching for a low profile offset flange, and found what may work, however I'd like someone with more experience to weigh in on options.

The flange I found was at home depot: 3 in. PVC Open Spigot Toilet Flange with 45° Angle and Stainless Steel Ring. I imagine that flange, into another 45 would reduce the total height by a bit.

Are there other options that may be a better solution?

zkejgldslv161.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You could use a closet flange at a 45.

closet_flange_45.jpg

closet_flange_offset.jpg

Or the offset with a street 90 that fits into the hub. I don't know why you went with two hub fittings where one had to be cut down before.

offset-closet-flange-5831.jpg

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I realize I could just go with a 14" rough in toilet (removing the offset to address the improper slope), however I'd rather not buy a new toilet, and the increased depth would eat into the bathroom space, which is already pretty small.
On the depth issue, I think there are some 14" rough-ins that don't stick out any further into the space. One example is the Toto Unifit. Of course, you'd still have to buy a new toilet.

Otherwise, I would think the 45 degree closet flange would be a good way to go.

Cheers, Wayne

John King

Reaction score
Thank you both.

Looks like the regular offset flange, with a street 90, is probably the better option for setting the toilet back as far as possible. I'll measure it out to confirm though.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
On the 45 option, there may be some variation among manufacturers as to how much of a straight section there is before the 45 (not sure, just guessing).

Also, if it would help, chamfering the edge of the old joist up to 1" wide by 1" tall (at a 45 degree bevel) would be certainly be fine. More might be OK, too, it would just require some checking first.

Cheers, Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
new offset ring with street 90 should give you a little plus a little trim on fittings (a little nothing like you have) I think youl gain over an inch . When OP says orginal 14 inch rough Im assuming he means befor installing offset ring and bringing it into 12 1/2 or whatever he has. Main objective is to get fall on the horizontal waste line if I understand. otherwiose whats the point of changing anything?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks