Looking for a 10 inch rough in toilet with a 2 3/8 trapway.

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by dl219, Mar 7, 2018.

?

Im trying to find a toilet with a 10 inch rough-in that also has a trapway on the larger side.

1. American Standard

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. TOTO

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. dl219

dl219 New Member

I'm looking for a 10 inch rough in toilet with a 2 3/8 trapway. It seems that everything I see with the larger trapway is bigger than 10 inch rough in. - Thanks!

2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Would an 11 inch rough-in be of interest?

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. dl219

dl219 New Member

Thanks, but I only have a little over 10 inches from the bolts to the tile wall. 10 1/2 at best.

5. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    The Caroma line has probably the largest diameter trapway in the industry, but isn't necessary for most people. For most, it's more the pathway design rather than the diameter. Sharp bends, regardless of their diameter can be problematic.

The Toto line that uses the UniFit adapter would probably work for you as well. If you have a medical issue, producing long-hard stools, the Caroma is probably the better bet.

7. dl219

dl219 New Member

Thanks much Reach4 & jadnashua, I appreciate it!

8. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    For a very large trapway at 10" the Caroma. 3"
    TOTO has a 2" trapway on their 10" models.

9. dl219

dl219 New Member

Thanks Terry, whats your thoughts on the Kohler 'Aqua Piston' flushing system. I've been looking at the Kohler K-3851 Cimarron round bowl for a 10 inch rough in. We need the round bowl for a tight space in front of the tub.

10. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    First, why are you asking about a large trapway?
    The Kohler round bowl sits out 28.5" away from the wall at the end of the bowl.
    The TOTO CST744EF.10 elongated bowl is 29" to the end of the bowl, and has a better trapway. It also puts the sitting position 1" closer to the wall.

11. dl219

dl219 New Member

Thanks, I wasn't aware that the difference was that minor. I'll probably go with the TOTO then. We have had clogging issues the last several years with the toilet that is being replaced, and its only a guess on my part about trapway size. - Thanks again!

12. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Retired Systems engineer for defense industry.
    Depending on the toilet that is currently in use, keep in mind that unless you have a medical issue, and then the Caroma is probably your best choice, many of the older designs were just plain crap. Most of them have learned, but some of them still aren't all that great. It's more the shape of the pathway than its overall size unless you produce long-hard stools as a result of a medical problem. 'Normal' stools fairly easily fit through a 2" pathway as long as it doesn't have really sharp angles in it. If you look at the sides of many toilets, you can see the path of the waste. Some make smooth curves and at the end direct the waste down into the drain. Some make that last big at a sharp right-angle. That both slows down the whole process, but is a point where things can clog. Take a look at page two of this Toto Drake II and notice the side view. See how the trapway curves smoothly to point the waste down the drain? The shorter the curve, the more likely you may end up with a clog.

https://www.totousa.com/filemanager_uploads/product_assets/SS-01143_MW4542044CUFG.pdf

Compare that path with some of the others you may be interested in including the one you have.

Notice on this American Standard toilet the tight, right-angle bend at the bottom.

https://www.americanstandard-us.com...roduct-specs/bulk/specsheet211aa104.pdf?la=en