Looking for 47" tall 40 gal elec. water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

testsoccer1

Reaction score
My 7 yr old Whirlpool heater is leaking, am looking for the same that will fit the pipes, since Whirlpool folded, am finding out they come in many different sizes. I can go as high as 48 1/2 inches to 49 " w/c height.
The Richmond was too tall by a couple of inches.

Sarg

Enjoy Learning
Reaction score
Not enough info to help.
Electric or gas ?
Is the size constraint because of it being in a closet ? If so how wide is the opening ?
Know that the top connections could be altered if necessary.
Most heaters come in multiple sizes within the capacity ........ short - medium & Tall.

It's unusual for a 7 year tank to start leaking... Is it the tank or the fittings ? After 7 years the anode rod is probably used up and the tank is indeed rusting ... but it usually takes longer to rust through.

Last edited:

testsoccer1

Reaction score
Not enough info to help.
Electric or gas ?
Is the size constraint because of it being in a closet ? If so how wide is the opening ?
Know that the top connections could be altered if necessary.
Most heaters come in multiple sizes within the capacity ........ short - medium & Tall.

It's unusual for a 7 year tank to start leaking... Is it the tank or the fittings ? After 7 years the anode rod is probably used up and the tank is indeed rusting ... but it usually takes longer to rust through.
It is electric, leaking slowly from the bottom, am trying to avoid cutting the top pipes, looked all over for one similar size, but they make them too tall.

Sarg

Enjoy Learning
Reaction score
Expending all the time for exact match isn't worth the effort when you can use flexible connectors with little work. Cut the current lines ..... put on an adapter . Avoid the braided line connectors and use the corrugated as in the picture.

Sharkbite makes connectors that just "push on" existing pipes

This Rheem at Home Depot is 48 1/2.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rheem-P...ric-Tank-Water-Heater-XE40M06ST45U1/205810725

Attachments

• Tank connectors.jpg
    Tank connectors.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 151
  • Sharkbite connectors.png
    Sharkbite connectors.png
    34.4 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Whirlpool has ALWAYS been the same as GE Rheem, Ruud, Vanguard, RIchmond, and maybe a couple of others. They are ALL the same units, just rebranded with a different name plate. So, Whirlpool going out of business has nothing to do with yo finding a replacement heater. What is model and serial number because it COULD be a 10 year warranty heater.

Reach4

Reaction score
Sharkbite makes connectors that just "push on" existing pipes
Be aware that those probably have reduced ID. I wonder if you could shove a 5/8 od pipe through those 3/4 inch lines. The Falcon Mega-Flow are full size.

Sarg

Enjoy Learning
Reaction score
Be aware that those probably have reduced ID. I wonder if you could shove a 5/8 od pipe through those 3/4 inch lines. The Falcon Mega-Flow are full size.
I actually just called Sharkbite out of curiosity ....... and they could not provide an answer ..... other than saying a braided connector has the rubber type insert & the corrugated "should" be near the 3/4 ...... so they might be comparable to the Falcon at .720.

Attachments

• MegaFlow.jpg
    MegaFlow.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 134

Reach4

Reaction score
My 7 yr old Whirlpool heater is leaking, am looking for the same that will fit the pipes, since Whirlpool folded, am finding out they come in many different sizes. I can go as high as 48 1/2 inches to 49 " w/c height.
Click Inbox, above.

You can find a lot of shorter WHs if you search for "Low boy", but those are wider also.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some places require their WH to be hard piped, and some require flexible connections (mostly in earthquake country), and some allow either. So, before you consider flexible pipe, you need to know what your local building department requires.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks