Locating automatic sprinkler control valves

Users who are viewing this thread

nervona

Reaction score
Is there any way of locating sprinkler control valves in the yard? I have purchased a home with an automatic sprinkler system and didn't think to ask about the locations of the control valves. I have an 8 zone system and have located 5 of the control valves (each are in a different location around the house). One of the zones has a very weak flow and I am wondering if the valve isn't opening all the way. It seems to have the same number of pop-up sprinklers as the other zones and all the other zones have great pressure. I've poked a stick into the ground in places I think the valve box ought to be, but can't seem to find it. Any suggestions?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would suspect it is near the controller. Otherwise there would have to be a conduit with wires from the controller to the valve box. Try to determine where the wires run when they leave the controller. The only other reasonable possibility is the valves may be close to the water source. Of course, reason does not alway apply.

numedpick

Reaction score
nervona said:
Is there any way of locating sprinkler control valves in the yard? I have purchased a home with an automatic sprinkler system and didn't think to ask about the locations of the control valves. I have an 8 zone system and have located 5 of the control valves (each are in a different location around the house). One of the zones has a very weak flow and I am wondering if the valve isn't opening all the way. It seems to have the same number of pop-up sprinklers as the other zones and all the other zones have great pressure. I've poked a stick into the ground in places I think the valve box ought to be, but can't seem to find it. Any suggestions?

I had this problem recently and casually asked a sprinkler guy that was working on the neighbors system for help. Took him no more than 5 minutes to locate for me and I gave him a $10 bill. Plus he will get any future business that I can't handle. Those locator devices are the way to go.

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
1605_w2.jpg

ToolsRMe

Reaction score
nervona said:

In my house the water tees in the crawl space. Therefore I have two backflow preventers.

Thus I had a set of six valves on one branch of the tee and three on the other.

Also look for the controller wire. On my house the wire ran along the exterior wall so that it was minimally exposed.

- - -

In terms of weak flow, in my system there were leaks. The HD guy said (for whatever it is worth) that it is unlikely to be a bad valve. Nonetheless, it is easier to replace a vale than to find a leak.

In my case, I replaced the vale and then still had to find the leak. The leak was under a concrete patio. Fixing the leak was definitely not fun.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks