Limit run time of well pump

Users who are viewing this thread

jparkri

Reaction score
I'm looking for a countdown timer that will shutdown my well pump if it runs longer than X minutes without reaching the cutoff pressure. I had a hose break overnight and the pump ran until the well was emptied. If I can set the X time to what should be a normal cycle time, I could eliminate the dry well. I already have a sensor that shuts down the pump if the well is dry but I want to prevent the dry well. I'm looking for a timer that will start when the pressure switch turns on the pump and automatically reset when the pressure switch shuts off the pump. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is something on the market that uses a solenoid to shut down the system if water runs continuously for 15 minutes, and then there is a manual reset. But for the life of me I can't think of the name.

Reach4

Reaction score
Here is an idea, but I am not going to try to pick out parts. This is just a concept.

https://www.grainger.com/category/s...-and-machine-safety/electrical/ecatalog/N-r5s describes

Single Function Time Delay Relays, On Delay
ON DELAY: When power is APPLIED to the coil, the ON DELAY timing period begins. The contacts do not transfer at this time. At the end of the ON DELAY time period the contacts transfer, either connecting (normally open contacts) or disconnecting (normally closed contacts) the load. The contacts stay in the transferred state until power is REMOVED from the coil. They then return to their original state and the unit is ready for a new cycle.​
I am thinking you power the relay with the output of the pressure switch. You pass the power through the normally closed contacts of the DPDT relay, and on to the pump. If the relay stays powered for the set amount of time, the relay turns on. That opens the normally closed contacts, and the pump turns off. The relay stays energized until you cycle the power from the pressure switch.

In selecting a relay, the contacts would need to be able to power the pump. Alternatively, the delay relay powers a bigger relay which powers the pump.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Isn't there a device that detects the pump is running dry and shuts it off? I think it senses the current level changing indicative of no load.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Isn't there a device that detects the pump is running dry and shuts it off? I think it senses the current level changing indicative of no load.

Yes. PumpTeks do that along with Pump Savers. They read the amp load and shut the pump down even the amp draw drops.

Reach4

Reaction score
img_5.png
I already have a sensor that shuts down the pump if the well is dry but I want to prevent the dry well.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Don't forget the Cycle Senor dry well protection relay. It works better than pumptec or pumpsaver. But an easier solution to shutting the pump off when there is a break in the line is to use a low pressure cut off pressure switch. See Square D with the M4 feature.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here it is. Granzow ET20m timer solenoid valve. It will probably reduce the flow volume due to orifice size, but you can program it to shut the flow of water off after a certain amount of time.

jparkri

Reaction score
Thank you for all the advice. Reach4, I like your idea with the on-delay relay. I was considering a similar thing with an interval-delay relay which can accomplish the same result but the on-delay relay may be easier to find. Thanks.

jparkri

Reaction score
I found an Airotronics MC363 multifunction relay that does delay on make, delay on break, single shot, and interval modes with configurable time durations. In interval mode, upon being powered, it starts the time delay while powering the load then depowers at end of cycle if the pump is still on. The next time the relay is powered, it resets the time delay. I've ordered the 230VAC model so it should just pass the pressure switch power through the relay to the pump.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If your well runs dry...even with the delay, it will still allow the pump to run...water pumps generally do not like to run dry. That's why something that can sense the load change if the pump draws the water level down too far is probably preferable.

jparkri

Reaction score
Thanks. I do have a cycle sensor in the system to detect a dry well by load but I'm trying to prevent getting a dry well at all. Just this morning my wife was watering the garden and the pump could not reach the turn off pressure and just kept pumping. My new system will limit how long that could go on. I'm also putting some flow restrictors on the outdoor faucets since they are not going through any filters, etc. and are flowing at maximum pump capacity.

Littleboss

Reaction score
I found an Airotronics MC363 multifunction relay that does delay on make, delay on break, single shot, and interval modes with configurable time durations. In interval mode, upon being powered, it starts the time delay while powering the load then depowers at end of cycle if the pump is still on. The next time the relay is powered, it resets the time delay. I've ordered the 230VAC model so it should just pass the pressure switch power through the relay to the pump.

Old thread but I have the same issue. Did this relay work for you?

Littleboss

Reaction score
If your well runs dry...even with the delay, it will still allow the pump to run...water pumps generally do not like to run dry. That's why something that can sense the load change if the pump draws the water level down too far is probably preferable.

My well produced 15 GPM when drilled and has a 10GPM pump in it. It will run 24/7 and never drain the aquifer. If it develops a leak and keeps running I want to shut it off. A 10 minute on cycle would be plenty. If it runs more than 10 then shut it off

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks