Sump Pump - Running until no water left - OK to do?

Users who are viewing this thread

SephYuyX

Reaction score
Have not been able to find a definitive answer on whether or not this is a bad thing or not.

Inside house basement, inside an enclosed mostly clean basin/pit, Zoeller 50/90 brand, and a weep hole present on output with check valve. I added a "HyrdoCheck" system to it where there are high/low on/off sensors that triggers the pump on and off based on where the two sensors are placed instead of the pump's float. I have the low/off sensor almost touching the bottom of the pit, on purpose.

When the pump runs, it runs until no water is left and you can hear it gurgle/sucking up every last drop until it shuts off. Worse case it's only running "dry" for a second. Is there any negative to doing it this way? I've had it this way for months with no immediate issues, should I be worried about longevity or anything else?

Fitter30

Reaction score
No it not good especially if its a submersible uses water for cooling and possibly lubrication. Even though the motor has thermal protection if it trips off when the motor cools it will restart the pump.

Reach4

Reaction score
Probably no harm for such a short time. But why not raise the lower probe a half inch?