Leaking Slip Coupling Above Effluent Pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Girafdaniels

Reaction score
image0.jpeg

I installed the pictured slip coupling on this vertical section of pipe. Apparently, I didn't get it quite right because it's leaking. I primed both sides of the pipe, the full inside of the the coupling, applied solvent to all those areas, then slipped the coupling down over the bottom pipe and back up, giving it a quarter turn. The pipes were touching each other within the coupling, and I got it centered over the two.

The leak is significant because the pipe has standing water in it above the effluent pump at all times, so my plan is to drill a hole at the repair site first, to let water drain out, then cut out the coupling for another go. If I could use an extra long slip coupling (or something) to avoid having to put an additional coupling in that vertical section, that'd be ideal, but I'm not sure if they make them long enough (or how much PVC needs to be inside both ends of a slip coupling for it to be "safe").

Any advice is very appreciated!

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Picture did not make it.

What size pipe? How much gap are you looking to bridge?

https://www.fernco.com/xl-couplings are not slip couplings, but are stronger than regular shielded couplings. They cost a premium. I suspect that only the RC version is shielded

Last edited:

Girafdaniels

Reaction score
Picture did not make it.

What size pipe? How much gap are you looking to bridge?

https://www.fernco.com/xl-couplings are not slip couplings, but are stronger than regular shielded couplings. They cost a premium.

Thanks, I just got the picture up.

2" pipe. Looking to bridge the 1 3/4" where the coupling has to be cut out. Was also concerned that a Fernco coupling wouldn't be ok to use in this application...

Terry H

In the Trades
Reaction score
Fernco will be fine and is approved for that. If you use them correctly they are as good as glue fitting and sometimes the only way to make something work. They are a plumbing approved device.

I’d rather use a fernco than slip coupling for this reason. Really cake the glue on if you try a slip coupling.

Terry H

In the Trades
Reaction score
I’d use an expansion coupling over a compression coupling. It’s a matter of preference though I suppose.

Girafdaniels

Reaction score
Fernco will be fine and is approved for that. If you use them correctly they are as good as glue fitting and sometimes the only way to make something work. They are a plumbing approved device.

I’d rather use a fernco than slip coupling for this reason. Really cake the glue on if you try a slip coupling.

I recently used a socket to pipe Fernco that was the only way to make another issue work. Heard nothing but positive remarks about them, so don’t distrust their staying power.

If they work for this application, too, it might be the easiest/best way to go.

How much 2” pipe needs to extend into a fernco fitting from both sides?

Terry H

In the Trades
Reaction score
I recently used a socket to pipe Fernco that was the only way to make another issue work. Heard nothing but positive remarks about them, so don’t distrust their staying power.

It only takes an inch

Just enough to get the hose clamp on which is around an inch. Of course I try to get as much as possible just because it makes me feel better but that’s really all you need technically.

It matters more if it’s drain that has stuff that can get hung in the gaps. Considering that it’s vertical and the application it really doesn’t matter.

If you’d rather use a no hub coupling they are more rigid and you can completely undo them. Put the rubber part on then fold it up and slide other pipe in place and fold it down. Then put the band on the outside and tighten.
Plenty of options it just boils down to what you are comfortable with.

Look at an expansion coupling

Terry H

In the Trades
Reaction score
They extend to fill the gap. They are lifesavers. Usually for pressure application but it could work for things like this too.

Attachments

• 31A11F69-9093-44E8-ACC9-A9BA1736E5FC.jpeg
    31A11F69-9093-44E8-ACC9-A9BA1736E5FC.jpeg
    59.7 KB · Views: 207

Girafdaniels

Reaction score
It only takes an inch

Just enough to get the hose clamp on which is around an inch. Of course I try to get as much as possible just because it makes me feel better but that’s really all you need technically.

If you’d rather use a no hub coupling they are more rigid and you can completely undo them. Put the rubber part on then fold it up and slide other pipe in place and fold it down. Then put the band on the outside and tighten.
Plenty of options it just boils down to what you are comfortable with.

Could readily get an inch with the right fernco, so this is a solid option. Thank you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks